• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ford 9 inch which one to use??? plz help i have pictures

ranger125

NAXJA Forum User
he fellas i have 2 for 9 inch axels one had a spider problem but i am spooling them sooooo both are the same length and i only know the one with the pinion hood is from a 77 f 100 2wd and the other one i have no ideah where it came from but it has the spider growl thanks for the help
ford9inch014.jpg
ford9inch018.jpg
ford9inch017.jpg
ford9inch012.jpg
ford9inch010.jpg
ford9inch009.jpg
ford9inch007.jpg
ford9inch004.jpg
ford9inch001.jpg

ranger125 said:
Hey, fellas. I have 2 ford 9 inch axles. One had a spider gear problem but I am spooling them so that will no longer be an issue. Both of them are the same width. The one with the pinion hood is from a 77 f-100. I have no idea where the other one came from but it has the spider growl.

Thanks for the help.

ford9inch014.jpg

ford9inch018.jpg

ford9inch017.jpg

ford9inch012.jpg

ford9inch010.jpg

ford9inch009.jpg

ford9inch007.jpg

ford9inch004.jpg

ford9inch001.jpg

Interpretation and picture reorder provided free of charge by myself. :D

It looks like one of the pinion yokes has been welded. Do you know why? It might be something to stay away from. The housings looks the same (stronger version) and neither of the third members look to be nodular. Do both axles have shafts with a spline count of 31? It may not matter which one you choose. Flip a coin.

thanks a millon for rearanging those pictures , yeah that welding is for holding the plate that protects the seal , and it also doubles as a grass catcher lol , well i am gonna lean towards the one with the hood seeing as i know where it came from and i know the it sounded good when i pulled it i guess i will keep the other for parts . both the axels have 31 spline but the wear pattern only goes down half the spline but on the mystery axel the splines are worn all the way down on one axel shaft only ?? weird ??

The casting numbers on the third member says that it was made in '67 (C7= '67, D7 would be '77) as for the wear marks on the axle splines going the full length....did that one have a Traction lock diff in it? I believe the hood over the pinion yoke was usually used on the car third members (pinion snubber) and it being 31 spline probably meant it was used behind a big block (car) so, it might have been swapped into the truck housing. BTW, if you have tapered roller bearings at the axle flange......it's 31 spline, 28 spline shafts never had them, they got sealed ball bearings in small (Mustangs, Cougers, some early Broncos etc....) or large size. By all means, keep the housings and shafts......31 spline shafts can be shortened, not so with 28 spline because of the way they taper (or, so I've been told)-----------Hans

the one diff with the hood on it came from a 1977 ford f 100 2wd red cab long box , and the one with the weird spline length wear i have no ideah where it came from only that i believe it was out of oil for a while and it had a loose wheel bearing and a bad axel seal leak , soo the c7 thing well they both say that lol but the one out of the 77 ford looked verry factory besides the e brake cables were cut off , i wonder y that would be?? oh i have no ideah if it has trac loc in it i havent got that far yer , so is that a bad thing that they are 67 cause all me reaserch says i should go for 77 and up??

Honestly, from looking at them I thought they were late 70s and up. It was my understanding that the earlier center housings didn't taper so far to the ends of the axles as the earlier ones. I think the earlier housings are referred to as "banjo" housings. But I know nothing of interpreting build codes so maybe Oatmeal is right.

ranger125 said:
the one diff with the hood on it came from a 1977 ford f 100 2wd red cab long box , and the one with the weird spline length wear i have no ideah where it came from only that i believe it was out of oil for a while and it had a loose wheel bearing and a bad axel seal leak , soo the c7 thing well they both say that lol but the one out of the 77 ford looked verry factory besides the e brake cables were cut off , i wonder y that would be?? oh i have no ideah if it has trac loc in it i havent got that far yer , so is that a bad thing that they are 67 cause all me reaserch says i should go for 77 and up??
No, nothing wrong with them, it just indicates that they were cast in '67.....the ones to watch out for are the castings with the letters "WAR" cast into it ('50 somethings), they're supposed to be prone to cracking. The housings are definitely late '70's truck (good stuff). The axle shaft with the weird wear marks might have been caused by a Traction Loc diff....IIRC the side gear on the side where the clutch pack is has deeper splines, engaging more of the axle spline.....but then, I could be wrong :dunno:--------Hans

ranger125 said:
i will post a picture and see if i can take that 3rd member apart . are those trac loc any good??
I was mistaken, it's the side gear opposite the clutch pack that has the deeper splines (you can see the side gears at the bottom of this page:http://tomsdifferentials.com/catalog.asp?pg=71 ) . If you spend alot of time with a rear tire off of the ground when wheeling, then I wouldn't even bother with the Traction Loc.....it's just a limited slip---------Hans

Last edited:
well i have open diffs at the moment so not much tire lifting so far but hopefully with these spooled diff i can have some tire lifting action lol so if they only grap half the spline does that make them weaker ??

ranger125 said:
well i have open diffs at the moment so not much tire lifting so far but hopefully with these spooled diff i can have some tire lifting action lol so if they only grap half the spline does that make them weaker ??
Never heard of anybody breaking the actual side gears but I have seen pictures of broken covers (it's a two piece case). I used to have an L.A. Locker (that's what they were called before they became Lock-Rite.......I'm an old fart) in a 28 spline open carrier and split the whole carrier in two! I now run a 31 spline Detroit with a Warn full floater kit haven't broken it (knock on wood) yet but, then again, I've altered my driving style over the years....no more full throttle, tire barking shifts :D Oh, this is in a healthy 351W powered early Bronco, btw ------------Hans

Back