• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

96 cherokee turns over but no start

85xjwoody

NAXJA Forum User
First time with this problem for me. I just had it running last weekend and ran fine. Go to start it today and the battery was dead. Throw a charge to it and still no go. So I get a different battery and it just cranks over.
I don't hear the fuel pump kicking in so I put a little fuel down the intake and still won't start. I pulled the plugs to see if they were wet with gas and not a one had any on them.
I am used to my carbed 85 so this is a little new to me. My first thought is that it will only start with the injectors pushing gas because of it being an electrical fuel pump?:dunno: Correct me if I am wrong because I am not sure on that one.
After that I am stumped because I can't get it to fire even with putting gas into the intake. Usually when I do this on a vehicle it at least starts and runs for a few seconds but in this case it won't start at all. Any help or suggestions would be great.
I also checked all the fuses and all are fine.

Kim

Well, I unplugged the CPS by the intake a few times and still no worky. I am going to try and take it out and possibly clean it up. If that don't work I guess I will end up replacing it. Any other possibilities out there for this problem?

Kim

I am starting to think that the CPS is not the problem. Everything in the plug is clean. My reason for thinking this is that I have no fuel pressure at the rail. The normal sound of the fuel pump kicking on is not there. If the CPS is faulting could it cause these things to happen? I don't think it would but I don't know for sure.
I will check into the codes in a bit.

Kim

Well, no codes came up. Still no pressure at the rail, no fuel pump kicking in. Now if I can just get that damn plug apart for the fuel pump I can test it. Or is there another way to test the fuel pump?

kim

So, um, where is the PCM located. I have done some searching and I think I am down to either the PCM, CPS, or both. I have found no way to test the fuel pump to see if that is my culprit or not. I got the plug apart but cannot figure out a way to test it to see if it works or not. Thanks again for the help.

Kim

85xjwoody said:
I found the PCM. I sure hope that isn't the problem with the cost of a new one is costly:eek:

Kim

You say you're not gettting pressure to the rail, and that the fuel pump isn't kicking on, are you sure the fuel pump's not bad?

99XJSPORT06 said:
You say you're not gettting pressure to the rail, and that the fuel pump isn't kicking on, are you sure the fuel pump's not bad?

That is what I was thinking also, but I have no way to test the pump to see if it is bad or not.

Kim

Only way I can think of to test it is pull it, prime it, and pump...which just sounds bad when typed out.

Jim

ok you have no fuel pressure! there is a test port on the fuel rail !! or just unhook the fuel line and turn on the key! if you get nothing then check if the pump has power (fuse relay whatever) My guess is the pump itself. but I would not install a new one unless I was sure!!!!!!!!! dropping the fuel tank is not one of my favorite things to do Good luck

Kim, I tested my fuel pump by jumping the fuel pump relay. It kicked on & pressurized the fuel rail. Are you getting spark? JIM.

ILLXJ said:
Kim, I tested my fuel pump by jumping the fuel pump relay. It kicked on & pressurized the fuel rail. Are you getting spark? JIM.

Got the jeep into the garage today where it is warm. So Jim, how do I go about jumping the fuel pump relay? Never did that before.

Kim

Well, jumped the fuel pump relay and the pump works. Good news on that part but found out some new things. No spark anywhere. No power to the coil. No power anywhere!! Any suggestions or opinions? Thanks.

Kim

"The PCM monitors the crankshaft position sensor. If the PCM does not receive a crankshaft position sensor signal within 3 seconds of cranking the engine, it will shut down the fuel injection system."
are you sure the pump isn't coming on at all?

hey i had that same issue last winter...i have a 90 with the 4.0L It ended up being a fusible link wire behind the battery... dont know if that helps, i have heard this alot from guys on here and that seems to be it... hope that helps bro

Back