• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SHES GONNA BLOW!! MY ENGINE THAT IS.

Tyquan

NAXJA Forum User
99 xj,4.0. Alright...after i hydrolocked my engine really bad i know its gonna go on me so now im looking for a used engine. My question is what should i do before i buy an engine from the junk yard? What are the steps in taking out my old engine and putting in a new engine? I want to do the swap the right way and not mess anything else up. When i go to the junk yard to look at the engine they have what should i look for? Can a older engine earlier then 97 work in my 99? or do i have to stick with an engine from only another 99? will everything match up.
Thanks, Ty

Your title has more DRAMA than a group of teen aged girls!!!

Since your engine is still running, you are through the worst damage you could have done to it.

pull the plugs, clean out the cylinders, clean out the distributor and TB. Check all the sensors and drive it.

Do a search for engine swap if you decide this is the only way to go.

Michael

FUNNY. I've been driving it for almost three weeks. I'm sad to say i never got a chance to pull the plugs cause i had nothing but useless tools on me at the time. I will try and do the engine swap search again. thanks.

When pulling the engine, its alot easier if you take off your front clip, you can leave your fenders on though, I didnt need to take mine off when I changed the engine.

Other things to be careful of is when your hooking everything back up, make sure ALL the grounds are attached. My engine didnt start and took me three hours to finnally realize the problem was two ground wires werent hooked up.
Also, take a picture of your engine while its still in the Jeep to remember where everything goes when your putting the new engine in, It helps a lot.

Tyquan said:
FUNNY. I've been driving it for almost three weeks. I'm sad to say i never got a chance to pull the plugs cause i had nothing but useless tools on me at the time. I will try and do the engine swap search again. thanks.

This is my point. If you have been driving it for 3 weeks what makes you think it is going to BLOW!?!?!?

Does it run OK?

Michael

It sounds like a diesel and my oil pressure will drop to 15psi after it completly warms up. Also when i jump on the gas i can see smoke comming out of my exhaust. Im worried it will throw a rod or something bad will happen when im far away from home. Im guessing my best bet would be to replace it with one from a junk yard that has 65k and they want $750+tax, which im thinking is a little high and get AAA so my ass can get towed home. What would you do?

Tyquan said:
It sounds like a diesel and my oil pressure will drop to 15psi after it completly warms up. Also when i jump on the gas i can see smoke comming out of my exhaust. Im worried it will throw a rod or something bad will happen when im far away from home. Im guessing my best bet would be to replace it with one from a junk yard that has 65k and they want $750+tax, which im thinking is a little high and get AAA so my ass can get towed home. What would you do?

I think you are right in thinking it's going to blow. Try to get the motor out of a XJ you can hear running. Depending on how strict your state is with emmissions will dictate what motor you can use. 96'+ were OBD2, 91'-95' were high output OBD1 87-90' 4.0Ls were Renix. Don't limit your donor from just a XJ, you can use a ZJ or TJ block as well and swap over your other stuff to the block.

New Jersey is soo damn gay, and i mean that literaly. All the junk yards around here want a shit load of money for an engine and theres something always wrong with the things i buy form them. Is $800.00 a fair price for a 4.0 with 65k? They told me it had 65k but i guess theres no real way to fine out, or is there? Also how long does it take to swap out an engine for a new one?

i'd say two days if you havent done one before i pulled my motor one day and installed the new one the next. the only way to know the mileage is to check the OD of the vehicle it was removed from (and hope the OD was working)

Tyquan said:
Also how long does it take to swap out an engine for a new one?

With air tools it took me about a day to take it out, and a day to put it back in. Plus the three months in between when I was waiting for parts.

o yea my hydro locked motor lasted 15k ran perfect then threw the #1 rod out the block and pan shattering the cam and every thing else in it's path.

So about two days maybe three is will take. I sopke to the person at the junk yard over the phone and she said she will need a $200.00 deposit and she would have the motor four days later. That means i cant look at the jeep its comming out of to see the mileage. It it possible to run the I.d. number on the motor to find some info on it?

Tyquan said:
So about two days maybe three is will take. I sopke to the person at the junk yard over the phone and she said she will need a $200.00 deposit and she would have the motor four days later. That means i cant look at the jeep its comming out of to see the mileage. It it possible to run the I.d. number on the motor to find some info on it?

Why not go to the yard and look for yourself?

OK... this guy doesn't have tools to pull PLUGS and he's gonna do an engine swap?? Yeah, right!

no man. i didnt have any tools on me at the time of when i was out wheelin. I have a decent amout of tools. I have enough tools to put a lift on and do a complete brake job, jerkoff. i never done a engine swap, im only 20.

yeah dude, im not an idiot. i changed it four times and am useing 20w50. Is that bad? did a fuel system cleaning and changed the tps sensor.After all that my oil pressure will still drop down to 15psi. Also its burning oil, not too much unless im on the parkway as i found out yesterday. will replaceing the plugs help do anything after hydrolocking it pretty bad?

Back