• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clutch, pressure plate problems

jwtrapper

NAXJA Forum User
I was out running around tonight and the jeep was making some funny noise. I was on my way home and I went to change gears and the clutch pedal went to the floor way too easy and did not disengage the clutch. I had to speed shift to get home and time the lights just right on the HWY. Not a lot of fun but not too bad either. Now that I am home I'm just wondering what the hell broke this time? Is it the pressure plate (clutch cover), should I just replace all of it, clutch, cover, throwout bearing, flywheel.

Probably not the pressure plate, clutch disc, or flywheel. If they were bad, you would be able to move, just the opposite of youre problem. Sounds like you lost fluid pressure somewhere. Check the master, the lines, and the slave for fluid leaks. And of course, check to make sure the master is full???

when my 89 did that and i was stuck in gear, it was the internal slave that gave out. check fluid level in masster and for fluid dripping out of the bottom of bellhousing.

fluid dripping out of the bottom of bellhousing.
===============================
X2 the drip
If you do need to pull her down, check the plate closely if it's thin it may be a good time to just replace it all. Ho many miles on the clutch? How old? Did it slip much. LUCK

Blew a hole in my pressure line not too long ago...

The funny thing is it never did slip or give me any problems until yesterday. I have fluid in the reservoir and its not leaking, not sure how much is supposed to be in there really. I was messing around with it a little while ago and now the clutch goes in a little bit and then stops. It wont go to the floor at all. I hope its just the master cylinder. I've never had to mess with this stuff so I'm not sure what the hell I'm doing.

i had no warning sign when the slave went on mine. went to push in clutch at a traffic light and it went right to the floor and stayed in gear.

Back