• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D30 bent?

MoonScryer

NAXJA Forum User
I lifted my XJ, put new tires on, drove 50 or so miles. The inner sides are both showing wear on the front, so I measured the axle tube at the pumpkin and behind the knuckle; it drops a third of an inch from knuckle to pumpkin. Assuming the parking lot was level, I take it this is why i got negative camber?

Did you get your tires alligned after you lifted it? If you didn't your tires could wear extremely fast! I lifted mine 4.5 inchs and not caring about my old street tires went for a quick drive to see how it rode. I went about 3 miles and when I got back my front tires were noticably eaten up on one edge.

No, not yet - most places won't touch a lifted jeep in Atlanta. I did my own toe in alignment, which I'm still slowly working over.

Should the axle tube be dead straight?

It should be completely straight, the axle tubes are made out of thick DOM steel which is very strong. Have you jumped your rig before? How many miles are on it? When you set the toe how did you do it? You can bend the tubes but it takes a pretty decent impact to do it. I am also guessing it was not like this before you lifted it. 1/3 of an inch is alot to be off, I bet the ground is not level.

I've never jumped it; I bought it slightly used up from someone. It runs well, and has many new parts, clutch included. Has 163,000 mi. This is its first lift.

I set the toe by eyeballing it for the most part; I didn't find my tape measure until today.

It is possible the parking lot I was on was uneven in spots; it is a bit old, and I know water will pool for a day after rain where I park, in various spots.

I'm going to complete the toe adjustment and go from there.

95meangreen said:
on and the housing will break before the tube bends to much. Ask me how i know :D

Yes and no. A single massive shock will often break the tubes free from the centre section. Repetetive abuse will cause them to smile over time. Also, the C's like the bend back - often resulting in broken ball-joints, but sometimes just giving you massive camber.

The tubes may be DOM, but they're really wimpy on these axles.

But, it sounds more like an alignment issue.

OK, I got the tires 1/8" toe-in now and OMG it drives SO much better. I have a constant vibration, like a HARD vibration, but I think it is the tires, just getting used to them. Still need to do a TC drop, but it is coming along.

I'm going to chalk the front tires tomorrow and see what the camber is now.

DirtyMJ said:
Yes and no. A single massive shock will often break the tubes free from the centre section. Repetetive abuse will cause them to smile over time. Also, the C's like the bend back - often resulting in broken ball-joints, but sometimes just giving you massive camber.

The tubes may be DOM, but they're really wimpy on these axles.

But, it sounds more like an alignment issue.

oh i definitly agree its the alignment thats off. Ijust didnt experiance that axle tubes bending my center section snaped but the tubes were find. Bottom line align it and that will stop the wearing as much and if its not that then swap the axle out.
ChrissJeep034.jpg

95meangreen said:
oh i definitly agree its the alignment thats off. Ijust didnt experiance that axle tubes breaking my center section snaped but the tubes where find. Bottom line align it and that will stop the wearing as much and if its not that then swap the axle out.

That's pretty neat. It falls under the 'breaking the tubes free' category. If you'd welded them to the housing (like is done on an 8.8) I bet you would have moved the carnage point else-where. Although, from the looks of things what you did to it wasn't survivable for a D30 without massive trussing one way or another.

After some unintentional air time, my D30 was 1/2" lower in the middle than the ends. The diff bearings were howling after that. I swapped out the axle with another from the junkyard.

Back