• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mom's Jeep

beatassXJ

NAXJA Forum User
My mom just got a 2000 limited and it rides super rough. i was just wondering the SMOOTHEST and SOFTEST riding shock there is. she will Never take it offroad. She is used to beemers and benzs:hang: and she decided she needed to have 4wd " just in case" and liked mine so she got one. any help is appreciated.

If she affords a new BMW then why not afford a new Jeep? It'll ride smooth.

How old are the shocks that are on it? Are they decent now? Maybe just some new ones would help greatly. Monroe shocks have always worked fine for me on OEM TECH applications.

Look, Im 18 years old and a fulltime student with no say in what vehicle my mother drives. im just tired of hearing her complain about the rough ride. if anyone knows about some soft highway shocks it would be appriciated.

Stay away from the lower end Rancho RSX shocks, then. Those suckers give me a rough ride, but that's the way I like it.

My '02 Liberty gave me a nice smooth ride to the mall and back, however.

Old Man Emu
Rough Country
Bilstein
Rancho 9000 Adjustables

Check them.

I have BDS shocks on my rig, I love them, others hate them.

You should have your ma lift it while she's at it. Tell her it makes the ride better for freeway driving. Actually, the OME does make your ride better.

Buy OME Nitrochargers. Done. They give a great ride. Case closed. Call dirk at DPGoffroad.com. Don't even look at anything else.

beatassXJ said:
Look, Im 18 years old and a fulltime student with no say in what vehicle my mother drives. im just tired of hearing her complain about the rough ride. if anyone knows about some soft highway shocks it would be appriciated.

Hek, we made 2 suggestions before this spurt? Now that he says it I would say OME as well.

OME, i just rode in a jeep with ome springs and shocks and it felt way smoother then stock.

don't get new springs it'll be stiffer.

i have monroe sensatracs on my DD, they ride better than any shock you can walk in a store and buy without having to order, i have OME on my other jeep i like them but its lifted and i couldnt give you a non-lifted opinion on their ride.

i want to know the end result of this. i bet you never hear another peep from her after you get the ome's on.

I would never put OME's on an off-road rig, but I'm with the crowd here. For on road, OME is the way to go.

lancey3 said:
don't get new springs it'll be stiffer.

That is not always the case at all. True a lot of springs have a higher spring rate but not all. OME for instance will give a softer ride when both their shocks AND springs are used. They have been valved and engineered to work together for the best results.

Another thing to let you mom know is that her XJ has a solid front/rear differential and there is NO way her XJ will ride nearly as smooth as a BMW/Benz that has a 4 wheel independent suspension...

However, some good shocks as mentioned above would be a good start (brands already mentioned). You might also look at what type of tires she's running as those can make a huge difference as well. Softer air pressures (w/in spec) and a more 'steetable' tire would help as well. A street tire should ride much smoother than an off-road type tire.

Back