• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

-->BEADLOCKS<-- How many bolts (18,32,33,36...)

uncc civilengineer

NAXJA Forum User
It seems there is an endless number of choices for DIY beadlocks now. How many bolt holes? I've seen 18, 32, 33, 36, and so on. I know it's somewhat personal preference but ask for some opinions.

Typical bolt's are 3/8" Grade 8...

Why not go w/ 18 bolts? etc... I would like to hear from people WHO ACTUALLY have beadlocked wheels (DIY or Manufactured) and wheel fairly hard.

Thanks,

I have the ruffstuff DIY locks. 39 bolts. All grade 8. They work famously. Even held my tires on in this situation.

dsc03183so3.jpg

Anywho. I wheel with a couple of guys who run the trailready with 24. They sometimes have problems breaking bolts and such. I also wheel with a guy who has some with 18. They work fine, but he does have leaks from time to time.

IMHO, the more the merrier. 39 is a bit too much. But anywhere around 24 to 30 will do fine.

you dont need grade 8 hardware, grade 5 is more than enough, expecially if you have more than 30 per wheel.

# of bolts is dependent on how much time you and you torque wrench want to be together. lol i would shoot between 20 and 30. which is 80 or 120 for 4 tires.

I had bead locks on my old rig. Seems like it takes forever to tighten down all those bolts but more is better. You won't have to make each one as tight and if you strip one or break one off on a rock you will still have bolts close by to hold the ring straight. They are heavy,leaky and don't balance well. Take your time centering the tire by putting on the tire and ring and putting air in the tire. Then remove the ring and make sure the tire is dead center. Re install the ring and go around and around tightening them down slow and square. Stauns is what I will try next before I buy ring and bolt jobs again. Seen any good deals on Stuans durring your search?

Stumpalump said:
I had bead locks on my old rig. Seems like it takes forever to tighten down all those bolts but more is better. You won't have to make each one as tight and if you strip one or break one off on a rock you will still have bolts close by to hold the ring straight. They are heavy,leaky and don't balance well. Take your time centering the tire by putting on the tire and ring and putting air in the tire. Then remove the ring and make sure the tire is dead center. Re install the ring and go around and around tightening them down slow and square. Stauns is what I will try next before I buy ring and bolt jobs again. Seen any good deals on Stuans durring your search?

Stanus are nice.. but recommend 6psi... I run around 6psi currently w/o beadlocks.. I want to be able to run 2-3psi (makes Iroks more flexy)... but more importantly we run a lot of off camber trails and I dont want a flop caused by an outer bead popping off..

Also... I know a few guys who have punctured their Stauns... so I'd only run them w/ some bias ply tires...

I believe mine have 38 3/8 grade 5 bolts... I figure the more the better. But If I were you I wouldn't listen to me, I put my tracbar on upside down! Who'd have thought...

I thihk the minimum is 24 bolts. They can break, and it's nice to have the bolts closer together. I also think 3/8 bolts should be used. I have 5/16 grade 8 on one rig and I break bolts pretty regularly. The other one has 3/8 and it hasn't been a problem. One thing I learned is not to reuse the bolts. So, I buy them by the bag and keep them around.

We are the guys that make them with 39 bolts, they fit without compromising wheel strength so why not.....3/8"......on another note I believe if they ever create a longlasting inflateable type for a decent price I will switch, for the next couple of years I will stick with 39 bolts!

pretty much you put the tire on like normal, but instead of trying to get the second bead of the tire inside the rim, it just sits on the outside in a groove and a beadlock ring is placed on top of it and bolted to the rim thus clamping the tire together. way over simplified explanation, but that's the theory of a single side beadlock. there are double bead locks (both sides of the rims are in a fashion clamped to the rim, but that's a whole different story.

Boatwrench said:
OK, I'll claim dumba$$ status...how are beadlocks installed?

Thanks,
Tom

If you do a DIY kit like Ruff Stuff's, you weld the inner ring to the wheel, all the way around. Gring down the welds Then you mount the tire on the outside of the welded on ring. Center the tire as best as possible. You bolt on the outer ring, sandwiching the tire between the 2 rings. Stick the bolts through, and put the nut on the other side. Tighten using the cross pattern. Add air and check for leaks.

I have Champions with 24 grade 8 5/16" bolts and have never had an issue with breaking bolts or leaks. They ballance out nicely and I daily drove on them for three years.

I run allied with 32 bolts per. No Leaks, rings are strong enough I don't have to baby them, and i run 0-5 PSI on my TSL's.
I had a set of 16 bolt mud racing locks from Day Motor Sports. Though really inexpensive, the outter ring was just to thin to take a hit on the trail and I kept folding the rings. But even the 16 bolt held air, didn't leak. But the rings were just too thin.
With the 32 bolts on the Allied's it took about 45 minutes per tire to install them.

DaffyXJ said:
I run allied with 32 bolts per. No Leaks, rings are strong enough I don't have to baby them, and i run 0-5 PSI on my TSL's.
I had a set of 16 bolt mud racing locks from Day Motor Sports. Though really inexpensive, the outter ring was just to thin to take a hit on the trail and I kept folding the rings. But even the 16 bolt held air, didn't leak. But the rings were just too thin.
With the 32 bolts on the Allied's it took about 45 minutes per tire to install them.

how thick where to ones that bent? mine are all 7ga mild steel... I haven't installed them yet but was wondering if they were thick enough.

Gravel Maker said:
We are the guys that make them with 39 bolts, they fit without compromising wheel strength so why not.....3/8"......on another note I believe if they ever create a longlasting inflateable type for a decent price I will switch, for the next couple of years I will stick with 39 bolts!

Dan,

I just sent you my payment through paypal (Invoice #4003)..... So I guess 39 bolts it is!

Thanks,
Chris

Back