• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1995 XJ now power with ign on

NCjeepin

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1995 XJ.

All of a sudden my XJ will not start. I have power to the headlights, but when i turn the ign switch on i get nothing. I have replaced the ign switch and checked all the fuses in both places. What could be the problem?

Do the idiot lights light up on the dash or not? Did you try starting it in neutral (NSS?) With the headlights on and you try starting it, do they dim at all?

NCjeepin said:
I have a 1995 XJ.

All of a sudden my XJ will not start. I have power to the headlights, but when i turn the ign switch on i get nothing. I have replaced the ign switch and checked all the fuses in both places. What could be the problem?

Check the fuse links on the wires near the battery and the starter relay near the battery, probably one of them if the ignition switch is installed and adjusted correctly. X2 on checking the ignition switch linkage adjustment, it can be real touchy, ask me how I know.

X2 on the NSS switch if it is just a no cranking issue.

Installed and reinstalled the switch numerous times.. When I turn the key on i get nothing, i have the light ring around the key, the buzzing sound, but the gauges do not come on, and no lights on the dash, the radio doesnt work windows dont work, its as if everything that gets power once the switch is turned on doesnt get power.

What exactly was happening before you replaced the switch? Would the gauges, fuel pump and whatnot activate when you turned the ignition on or was it completely dead as it is now.

My first thought was that the actuating rod was not engaged in the switch properly but I looked at the one I just replaced and it looks like it would be difficult if not impossible to mount it without the rod end in the hole.

As Ecomike stated and as you have no doubt learned by now, the adjustment is very fine -- too far one way and the starter contacts will not engage, too far the other and the accessory position doesn't work. My accessory works some time -- I've got to try again when I'm in the mood. However, the ignition position always worked. Is the plug making good contact? (Don't mean to insult you but thought I would ask.)

The issue is the same before and after the replacement of the switch, i did check all the contacts, i replaced the switch as a first guess and it just wasnt the problem.

X2 on battery cable connections. Don't spill beer on your connections and let them sit like that in the garage for three months. Ask me how I know :repair: Damn drunken stooper.

In a word, Yes. The starter takes LOTS of amps from the battery. Just because other things work, does not mean the connections are good. Nothing on the car takes as much juice as the starter motor does. I would suggest getting a battery brush and cleaning the posts and terminals and re-assembling; being sure to tighten the terminals sufficiently. This may not solve your problem, but you will have eliminated at least one thing....

I elimated it, lol.. I cleaned the terminals, still the same, then i bypassed the battery, same, then bypassed both cables, bypassed the grounding system. still the same.. this one has me stumped.

Got a wiring diagram to figure out what terminals to jumper to bypass the ignition switch? :)
I'd probably head back to what Ecomike said about fusable links, etc.....

NCjeepin said:
Installed and reinstalled the switch numerous times.. When I turn the key on i get nothing, i have the light ring around the key, the buzzing sound, but the gauges do not come on, and no lights on the dash, the radio doesnt work windows dont work, its as if everything that gets power once the switch is turned on doesnt get power.

It sounds like the starter relay near the battery is bad, little silver caped thing about 1.5" long, 1" tall and 3/4" wide, black bottom with about 4 threaded posts on it and at least one wire on it goes directly to the battery through a fuse link.

Option two is a fuse in the Power Control center (under the hood on a 95 model IIRC).

Option three is one of 2 hot wires from the battery to either the starter relay or the ignition switch has either a bad or burned connection anywhere beteen the battery, fuse link, ignition switch or starter relay.

I'm not a 95 expert, but have you checked all the relays and fuses under the hood? IIRC there is a fuse + relay box under the hood by the 95 year model. Where ever the fuses and relays are on the 95, it sounds like either a blown fuse link on a red wire near the battery, or a blown fuse, or bad wire connection on a positive power lead to the ignition switch that powers the dash and possibly the computer, and that the loss of power, say to the computer has killed the signal output to the starter relay.

Back