• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Body cracking

Cherokeejpn2

NAXJA Forum User
Has anybody else here had to deal with the body cracking?

Here are some pics
2007elkhunting2028.jpg

100_0458.jpg

100_0460.jpg

I had some problems at the back where the drip mounding ends (where the quarters meet the roof), cracked on both sides and leaked water in to the cargo area,none anywhere else YET

My personal XJ is fine, but it is not at all unheard of for an XJ to crack on a long enough timeline especially if it is a wheelin' rig. There are various stiffening systems (not to mention, roll cage ideas) designed to combat this and offer increased performance as well. You are not alone in the cracking unibody thing.

My buddy's unibody rail is cracking around the steering box. Although he did hit a fire hydrant once and tore the steering box out, that was since fixed. I wonder if it stressed it and the cracking is due to that, over time...who knows.

Speaking of that "vent".....what is the purpose? I've always wondered since it's sandwiched by the door.

Dont know what the purpose of that vent is I think it just creats a weak spot in the unibody. Mine is cracking all over i had a friend of mine who is mechanic look it over and he pointed out all the cracks! My jeep is done.

You did right by drilling round holes on the ends of the cracks to keep the from spreading. Pabst Blue Ribbon???? didn't know they made that anymore.

IIRC the vents provide a buffer for incomming air so you get less noise when driving with window down a little. I can only assume it would allow airflow through the body to aid in drying moisture and reducing rust... as if.

--Shorty

--PBR me ASAP!!!

Shorty said:
IIRC the vents provide a buffer for incomming air so you get less noise when driving with window down a little. I can only assume it would allow airflow through the body to aid in drying moisture and reducing rust... as if.

Haha, maybe that's why only the floors rust like sluts.

Back