• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Suspension Question

kdailey4315

NAXJA Forum User
Everytime I hit a pot hole or a bump in the road my Jeep rattles like hell. It's not death wobble but I can feel every single little pebble in the road. No I don't expect it to ride like a Caddy (I would have bought one if I wanted that) but it is a lot worse than my other Jeep. Where should I start looking? I'm not to well versed with suspension parts, I know what they all are and can identify each part but I have no idea what part does what.
Thanks

check all the bushings on the front control arms, at the frame and at the axle. thats where i would start. also make sure both ends of your trackbar are as tight as you can get em. also check your tire pressures, driving on overfilled tires makes you feel everything in the road.

hth

are you experiencing a rough/harsh ride or do you get a shimmy or wobble when you hit a bump.

harsh ride is usually tire inflation and shocks.

shimmy or wobble is worn or loose TRE's, trackbar, bad shocks, bad hubs.....

when was the last time you greased all the ball joint and TRE's?

bad tranny or motor mount can also shake things up.

It's just a rough/harsh ride. No shimmy or wobble. I've only had the Jeep for a week and I'm not sure the last time everything was greased but I'll check that out.

Does it have a lift?

You might try having the front end aligned if it hasn't been done in a while. After I put a lift on mine I had the same problem. I had it aligned and it didn't help that much. I had to go back a second time and have it realined again. The second time they did a better job and I can tell the difference.

BlackHole XJ said:
You might try having the front end aligned if it hasn't been done in a while. After I put a lift on mine I had the same problem. I had it aligned and it didn't help that much. I had to go back a second time and have it realined again. The second time they did a better job and I can tell the difference.

P.S.

When you get the alignment done have the Toe in set at the Maximum factory spec and the Caster set at the Minimum factory spec.

How many miles on the odometer?

I recently replaced my entire steering (230k on the odometer) draglink, tierod, track bar, and was amazed at how the ride smoothed out with new components.

karstic said:
How many miles on the odometer?

I recently replaced my entire steering (230k on the odometer) draglink, tierod, track bar, and was amazed at how the ride smoothed out with new components.

Back