• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how do ya remove the power steering pump's pulley?

It is pressed on,Auto Zone and others have the loaner tools or you can buy it for around $10.
Be sure that the pulley goes on the shaft tight,because that is all that holds it on.
Wayne

There is a screw puller, and the pully is actually press-fit onto the shaft. Do not get a cheap puller or it will come apart on you! Also, access to an air wrench for removal is a big help.

For installation, it's usually a 3/8"-16 bolt, a large nut, and I make sure to use a small stack of fender washers as a thrust bearing. Make sure to lubricate the shaft, shaft bore, and put a little assembly lube in the washer faces to make the job a little easier...

5-90

I just replaced the PS pump on my wife's Chrysler mini-van. It uses the same basic pump as the XJ, made by Saginaw. I bought the pump at Autozone, and they loaned me the tool to pull and reinstall the pulley for free. It works like a charm.......

Back