• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Snow tires...

XbajajeepX

NAXJA Forum User
I have searched but didnt really find anything that I am looking for...I wanted to get some responses from the guys that live in the snow....What tires would you recommend for packed snow/ice driving...I will be in Tahoe all winter and driving up to sierra at tahoe(ski resort) every other day....I have heard that the trxus MT's are great for the snow but I also hear that the BFG AT's are great.. What do you guys run???

Thanks,

Mike

My next set of tires will be Trxus MTs partially for there known snow performance. However, I have ridden in many Jeeps equipped with BFG ATs in anything from powder to packed powder to slush and they handle like they are on rails.

trXus. Awesome performance in snow.

Detroit doesn't plow their streets. We had a big snow fall last winter. I was cruising down the sidestreets of Detroit at 40mph laughing at the RWD cars driving sideways down the road.

Tires in snow will vary in requirements. Personally the Only time i like the BFG AT's is on pavement and plowed roads. I prefer to run the BFG MT's in the winter or all year for that matter. I just picked up a set of TrXus MT's in the 35x12.50R15 flavour and shall see how they do. If i find they are too wide i'll throw my BFG MT 33x10.50R15's back on. I prefer tall and narrow tires in general. I must say the TrXus are like riding on the Purex Pilllows, i don't feel any street imperfections. No chance to wheel them yet though. Probably not much help but i feel depending on the tire manufacturers' rubber compound, the MT pattern is more of a plus than a hinderance. Imagine you stay over at a buddy's house drinkin', next morning there is 2 feet of heavy snow. What do you want the AT or MT? Personally i'd have a hair of the dog first! lol HTH -B

Well I went with the BFG AT's and I will be getting them siped...

I have BFG MT's and they suck on the ice. Havent had the chance to run them int he snow, but im sure they suck there too. We dont get much snow in North Cackalacky:(

I live in Reno/sparks and go up to Tahoe every weekend during the winter...
TrXus (33x12.5) that i've ran for two years now are OK, they were awesome when new but as they wear down they can be quite different on snow/ice.
But overall TrXus is a good choice, but I'm going with Maxxis Buckshots this winter

I have BFG AT's 32x11.5x15 on a 2000 sport. They work awesome most of the time but float a little in deep snow but I just punch the throttle and traction is back.

BFG AT's are the best snow tire. EVER. If you are on road, than yes. Off road in the deep snow, if you are getting stuck, you aren't running them at low enough psi.

I used to run my BFG A/T's at 4 psi or so in the deep snow. They rocked. at 6.5psi it was too high. This was on 33X12.5

Back