• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wiper switch removal question

furrymcmonst

NAXJA Forum User
1990 Cherokee, no tilt, no intermittent

I've been searching quite awhile and can't find what I'm looking for. I was having trouble with my wipers starting and stopping at random and replaced the motor. Since I don't have intermittent wipers, I can't replace the delay module as I've read about on the threads.

So, I figure I need to try replacing the wiper switch now. I'm managed to stumble my way through removing the steering wheel, etc. Now, I'm trying to pull of the steering column shroud. It pulls out a bit and stops. If I look in the hole where the ignition lock cylinder used to be, I see a gear with a metal rod with teeth. The shroud pulls off until I get to the last tooth of the gear and it stops.

What is the trick to getting this off?

Actually, maybe I don't need to pull it off but I see no screw on the front of the wiper switch so I'm guess it's at the back and I have to go in from behind somehow.

Please advise. My frustration level is becoming unhealthy. Thanks.

I figured out how to detach the rod from behind and that wasn't the issue. It feels like it's stuck on the shaft itself.

I'll be getting some qualified help out here tomorrow. A bribe of fresh blackberry pie was all it took.

Back