• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2wd Toyota Rear End

J-Roc

NAXJA Forum User
How many people have done this swap? I have done a little searching on here but not much has come up. Pirate has some great tech and that has helped a bunch.
I found a lot of information that has been extremely helpful for instance,

-2WD Toyota Trucks have the same bolt pattern as the D35
-The E-brake cables on the 2wd trucks are the same as Cherokees and Wranglers (two seperate lines instead of 1 line like the 4x4 yota)
-It is ideal to find a V6 2WD, that way it is gaurenteed to have an 8" in the rear
-30 spline shafts
-The 96' Axle is wider, which would eliminate the use of wheel spacers
-Great selection of gear ratios, personally I'm looking for 4.10's
-Centered rear diff... not off set like the 8.8 - possibly saving me from a SYE right off the bat
-Removable 3rd Member

-Best of all, DAMN NEAR BULLET PROOF WHEN BUILT

Problems I have found that need to be addressed:

1. 2wd yotas are SUA
2. Are the drums on the rear of the Toyota large enough to stop an XJ?
3. Hardlines need to be made/adapted (different fittings apparently) - stoooopid japs

4. How do you bolt up the XJ Drive shaft to the Toyota Pinion?

Diff4Cyl.jpg

dude next time you quote someone, at least put some quotation marks. i thought you were saying the racial slur. you need to realize that this is a 4 wheeling site using american vehicles. that being said, i don't agree with the japanese statement. i waited for 7 months to get my full membership here to see what kind of people i was dealing with and for the most part, a lot of them are cool. i had it in the back of my mind, it would be a lot of rednecks talking about their huge lifts and all their guns and what they shot that day. i have nothing against guns or hunting in moderation, i was just worried that the site would be full of backwards thinking people. to my utmost joy, i was suprised by the amount of really cool people on here. you'll have the few that think like the original poster dude here but just ignore it. he can't think japanese people are too stupid if he is thinking about using their product. the fact is they make better vehicles in general and electronics and the such and that is why people are jealous and say stupid stuff. well i'll get off my soap box now. just thought i'd chime in.

-chris

Give a drive shaft company like Tom Woods a call. They can make you a shaft that is set up for what you need or if it can be done with a few parts I'm sure they can set you up with what you need.

cstilesiscool said:
notice i didn't say anything about dude being from CANADA. i kept it to myself :)

-chris

nOW that would have been a low blow, don't forget where most of yer crude oil comes from :wave:

I apologize for my imaturity

i was giving you sh*t more than anything else. i was merely pointing out to the other guy that this being a wheeling club with american made vehicles, there will be comments like that around. and by the way, i like canada.

marlin crawler makes a yoke to swap with the flange that bolts on and your u joint will fit

Im looking for a toy 8" however my biggest obstical has been finding one. I havent found a single one in RI yet and i have called nearly every yard i know of.

Also from what i have though i understood. (that dosent make sence but what ever) . the toy rear axle that comes in toyota pickups is different from that that comes in vehicles like the 4runner which i know is an 8". I was looking in to ARB for the toy8" and they have ones for both of thoes vehicles which would tell me that they are different some how. anyone come across this? Also whats a reasonable price for the axle out of a junk yard, ive come across prices around 800$ which is just way more then i have able to spend for just the axle when ive found ford 8.8s for 150$.

You can see my posts in the threads posted before me. I've got two axles. one is a Tacoma V-6 2x4 with the 5x4.5 pattern 3.42 ratio. The other is a 8" style out of a Tacoma with and e-locker, converted to disks, 5.4.5" pattern, and 4.88's.

Tom Woods had the driveline at the time and sent it back with an adapter from the flange to a 1310 u-joint.

If anyone is interested both axles are for sale. Send me a PM.

Later,
Lincoln

Could I get abs to work with the rear disks??? Do the toyos have tone rings for the abs??
thanks
themud
just pm me back and we can finish it backchannel

Lincoln said:
You can see my posts in the threads posted before me. I've got two axles. one is a Tacoma V-6 2x4 with the 5x4.5 pattern 3.42 ratio. The other is a 8" style out of a Tacoma with and e-locker, converted to disks, 5.4.5" pattern, and 4.88's.

Tom Woods had the driveline at the time and sent it back with an adapter from the flange to a 1310 u-joint.

If anyone is interested both axles are for sale. Send me a PM.

Later,
Lincoln

themud said:
Could I get abs to work with the rear disks??? Do the toyos have tone rings for the abs??
thanks
themud
just pm me back and we can finish it backchannel

I don't know if the tone rings will work with the Jeep ABS. I haven't had an XJ with ABS and the sensors aren't in the housing (wasn't factory ABS) to check and see what they throw.

how about is it posible for a toy 8" axle from a 4 runner that has ABS, to work with a xj without ABS. the axle is out of a 1998 4 runner 3.91 gear

Evan463 said:
how about is it posible for a toy 8" axle from a 4 runner that has ABS, to work with a xj without ABS. the axle is out of a 1998 4 runner 3.91 gear
as long as you don't mind the 6-lug pattern I don't see why it couldn't be made to work, it would not be bolt in as far as the Toy rear being coil sprung and all.

You might check out the 2WD V6 Tacomas but, not the Prerunners (like the "S" Runner for instance) they would have the 5X4.5 bolt pattern and the bigger 8.4" ring gear. The e-lockered rear ends are nice but, they have been known to break side gears (ask my brother about that)--------Hans

Back