• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

questions on my first project

xjfanatic1443

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everyone,
I'm somewhat decent with 4x4's and what-not, but I just wanted some expert advice on what I should do. I'm lookin to buy a bone-stock XJ (probably between 88-01) and lifting it and what-not. What I want to put on are 33x12.50 BF Goodies, but I'm still questioning on how big I should lift it and what it should be used for. I take many trips up to Tahoe and Chico, but I also wanna use it for mudding and trails, possibly rock-crawling every now and then. I was thinking of doing a 4.5 suspension lift with possibly a 2-3 inch body lift. Would that be good enough for 33x12.50's and is there any other major part I should look into upgrading/modding? Any advice would be great.
Jared

3 inch body lify and 33's you'll be sittin pretty dawg! stay away from 88-01 tho, you will have problems like a mofo if you try to body lift those year XJs. good luck! :wave:

XJ's dont legaly have a "frame" so to speak. unibody dude, the frame is layered sheet metal spotwelded to the floorpan. almost impossible to body lift, unless you are a super experienced body man willing to spend probably a year doing fab work on super custom stuff. buy a larger suspention kit, body lifts suck anyways. they just streach your lines and wiring and throw alot of geometry and design off......

xjfanatic1443 said:
Hey everyone,
I'm somewhat decent with 4x4's and what-not, but I just wanted some expert advice on what I should do. I'm lookin to buy a bone-stock XJ (probably between 88-01) and lifting it and what-not. What I want to put on are 33x12.50 BF Goodies, but I'm still questioning on how big I should lift it and what it should be used for. I take many trips up to Tahoe and Chico, but I also wanna use it for mudding and trails, possibly rock-crawling every now and then. I was thinking of doing a 4.5 suspension lift with possibly a 2-3 inch body lift. Would that be good enough for 33x12.50's and is there any other major part I should look into upgrading/modding? Any advice would be great.
Jared

LMAO!!!! WTF Are you kidding me? This is a joke right?:roflmao: :roflmao:

Dude forget the suspension lift. And with that body lift just go straight to 40 inch thornbirds they're 'da BOMB' Hopefully you have a manual transmission so you can get those awesome 3.07 gears everyone wants. Swap out the axle for a Dana 35 and weld the spiders and disconnect the track bar for better articulation on the road and you'll be crawling through moab getting EVERYONE'S ATTENTION.

lololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololler

did you switch over from jeeps unlimited by chance??

so yeah

RE 4.5 Lift - 1000 dollars
Tires - 400 dollars
gears - 800 dollars
body lift for you xj - priceless...

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

:hang:

Last edited:
sticky this someone.

lancey3 said:
Dude forget the suspension lift. And with that body lift just go straight to 40 inch thornbirds they're 'da BOMB' Hopefully you have a manual transmission so you can get those awesome 3.07 gears everyone wants. Swap out the axle for a Dana 35 and weld the spiders and disconnect the track bar for better articulation on the road and you'll be crawling through moab getting EVERYONE'S ATTENTION.

lololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololler

did you switch over from jeeps unlimited by chance??

so yeah

RE 4.5 Lift - 1000 dollars
Tires - 400 dollars
gears - 800 dollars
body lift for you xj - priceless...

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

:hang:

Hello captain obvious. Are you there? :callme:

Wow, he made a mistake. Try giving him some actual advice.

4.5" should be fine if you don't mind a bit of trimming. I'd go with Rubicon Express (I am bias since it is what I have). The 3.5" Super Flex kit should get you 4.5, since most of RE's lifts come about an inch higher than advertised. I got 4 1/4- 41/2 from mine. I put 31's on it and they look small. Look for an XJ with an 8.25 rear. You'll most likely need a SYE or at least a tcase drop, though it is not always needed. Other than that search is a good tool to use. Good Luck!

I run 4.5" in my 96 and some minor trimming and 33x12.5 on 8" rims and have no problems unless turning while articulatedthey rub a little. Def get at least the t case drop i ran mine without and was terrible. Put the rustys one inch drop crossmember and rides smooth. Good luck and welcome to he world of the XJ

Last edited:
Back