• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Airlift air bag suspension assist installation

Guzzi

NAXJA Forum User
Hi,

Does anyone have experience installing these?

I have a 96 Sport with the standard UpCountry suspension which was fine until it sagged (1") and the shocks faded. I have fitted Rancho RSX's all round, a great ride improvement especially on twisty tarmac.

I do not want to lift the suspension any higher than standard as it works OK on the camping trips. The problem is when loaded and/or towing I would like to level the ride.

I purchased an Airlift kit after reading about them on GoJeeps web site as it seems the best solution to restore and maintain the ride height.

My question is, when I go to install the kit should I install it at the "sagged" spring to body gap (height) and expect the airbags to lift the suspension back to normal or should I re-set the height (gap) back to standard before commencing installation?

I assume the kit was designed with the standard specifications in mind. Gojeeps guide is great but is installed on a modified spring pack with an add-a-leaf so he already has a starting point.

Am I making sense or have I just asked a dumb question?

Put it this way, is the aim to have the bags at their neutral extention at standard ride height?

yes. Obviously you dont want them to bottom out and you want as much travel as possible upwards. I would let the jeep sit level and set the bag so that it is in the neutral position. Plus you have to think that when you add the weight on the rear its gunna drop down... It's gotta have somwhere to go. Not very related but I love air suspensions. I've got bags all the way around on my Beetle. I love it layin on the ground. Good luck... Post some pics!

id set the body so it sits wher you like it to be then add the air bags. remember to add a little air to them (couple psi and no more) then let the suspension settle down to its natural position and then fill the bags till you get back to where you wana be. Youll notice the bags feel kinda funny if your not use to them but I like having bags in my full size trucks it helps soften the hard bumps even with no load

Hi,

Thanks guys for the input much appreciated.

I did undertake that act of last resort and got out the installation instructions for a closer look and they do indicate that they should be installed with the suspension adjusted back to the "factory" ride height.

So, they aren't primarily designed to restore ride height form a sagged situation but obviously they will allow you to maintain the standard ride height even with sagged springs.

Now to find that "Standard ride height specs" thread ......

Guzzi

Hi,

Installed the Air Lift suspension kit over the weekend and very pleased with the results, It has lifted the back end back up to the standard ride height with minimum air pressure and will lift it about 1" higher if more air pressure is used (30psi).

I believe it has improved the ride which is now firmer but rides better as it takes out the jarring form the potholes on our poorly maintained roads. Definitely has allowed the shocks to do their job.

Anyone contemplating the same install should check out Go jeeps web site as it shows the installation in progress and more importantly shows what must be done to fabricate a spacer to go underneath the bottom mounting plate. I believe this must be done to install the kit correctly, otherwise the top mountng bracket must be angled making it difficult to locate that brackets lower mounting holes.

Check out

http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoAirbagSuspension.htm

I spent a lot of time lining everything up and it wan't untill I had finished the instastallation that I realised that for an XJ Cherokee you should simply align the botton edge of the top bracket with the bottom edge of the body on both sides.

Regards,

Guzzi

We've been running airshocks on our XJ's for more than a decade now, usually aired so the truck sits about level or a bit high in the rear. I've been running about 35 psi in the shocks and tires (235/75/15 Goodyear Wranglers) which seems to give the best handling and ride characteristics on my '98 Limited and Dad found the same on his '90 Larado while hauling several hundred pounds of railroad equipment and using it as a track inspection vehicle (while driving over the ties just offset from the railheads!) and daily driver that would see highway use and even put hurtings on guys who thought they could drive their sportscars better than Dad could drive his old Jeeps;)

Back