• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cruise control wire?

89HEEP

NAXJA Forum User
alright...i have a wire that needs a home...its kind of hard to explain so try to bear with me...its a black wire...it comes down from the multi-function switch (blinkers brights etc)...you can see it going into the steering column from right at the inside end of the multi-function switch...it runs down the steering column...and comes out around my feet dangling...now..i had the dash out..and many many many other things and i just dont know where this wire goes...now...being that it comes from the multi-function switch..and ihave no cruise control right now...im thinking that this is what it is for...the end of the wire has a funny flat spade looking terminal on it...but its not just flat and rectangular its almost like a key..on the end of the wire..so it plugs into something and i believe its on the steering column towards the bottom somewhere...can anybody maybe follow that wire out of their multi-function switch down the column and tell me where it plugs in?? i' would really appreciate it...oh BTW its a 89 jeep cherokee 4dr..4.0l..4wd...np231..ax-15...and again...you can see the wire if you follow the multi function switch from the outside in towards the steering column and where it moves back and forth on the steering column there's an opening in it and you can see the wire heading down the column there...its a black wire on mine...sry for the long description...any help appreciated!

If I remember correctly from my '88 Heep, when I installed a new arm and ran it down the column, it should connect to an orange connecter under the dash, i think the "spade" connector plugs into this sideways. Let me know if you notice anything down around the yellow cruise control box like that; like I said in mine it is an orange connector. Hope this helps ya.

i didnt find any yellow box?? maybe i should've said earlier that i put a 1994 motor, trans, and t-case in my 89 body and when i did this i ended up swapping out pretty much every wire in the whole jeep...including the under the dash wire harness...the whole fuse block...all the wires running to the back..and all the wires under the hood..and the whole dash itself...idk if that helps...i guess i'd have to call it a 94 not an 89 cept both jeeps had this same wire dangling down when i got done...i dont know where it went but its gotta go to the same place on both the 94 and the 89...so like i said i didnt see any yellow boxes..for sure...im still pretty sure it plugs into one of the things mounted on the side of the steering column..towards the bottom..ign switch..high beam switch..?? idk...thats just what i seem to remember but of course i cant see jack @#$ on those switches to see where it would connect thats why i asked if someone could follow that wire down and see where it goes but yeah thanks for the help any other tips??

I think that's where the problem lies, if I'm not mistaken The cruise control system was changed after 1991 when chrylser started going through the XJ and making it more it's own. 87-90 XJ's use a yellow cruise control brain that is under the dash directly in front of the steering column. The stalk on the 87-90's was a direct GM stalk and the system worked with the yellow "AMC" box that was mounted there. As far as i know, 1991 and on used the Chrysler stalk and cruise system which I have no input on. Is the stalk still the the original 89 stalk, or did you change that with the others?

everything from the cluster wire harness to the rear wiper motor harness is different in my 93 than it is in the 89 i imagine the cruise control was changed to, i put the multi switch out of a 89 with cruise in my 90 wihtout cruis and had a black wire & another two wires i forget the color left over that i think came from the cruis settings on the switch

If it is black as you say it should be ground. Have you checked it for voltage? Try doing an ohms test to ground and see what you got.

Back