• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97+ rear hatch tire carrier mounting???

slcpunk74

NAXJA Forum User
I was pondering trying to put my spare tire on my rear hatch. I was thinking that way if i could find some heavier struts and mount them up(tonno cover struts?) and just make a frame that would hold the tire that would mount to the hatch. Any comments or ideas? links pics anything?
Thanks guys
Chadwick

gotta be swingout...rear hatch is fiberglass and won't support the weight down the road as it will crack.

97+ is steel not fibreglass, still be tough to support a spare on there though, I'm not sure the hinges would be up to it but maybe if you attached the frame to the roof or a custom roof rack or cross bar then it would work. I'm sure this has been on here before so have a search and see if you can find something more helpfull.

Cheers
Steve

A couple years ago we were drawing up some ideas for something like what you mention. After looking at the hinges, there's no way I'd trust it to hold up over time. Best scenario we came up with was to have a custom roof rack that is linked to the tire mount with helper springs inside a sleeve. Overly complicated really and the idea went POOF.:skull1:

ya that sounds complicated. I was very sceptic too thats why I asked you guys well I guess I will just do a swingout on my new bumper. Thanks guys

Back