• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cherokee People...

89CherokeePioneer

NAXJA Forum User
Cherokee pride... Remember that song?

Hi guys. I posted on a few issues on another post, but these are unrelated so I thought i'd start a new one. Feel free to let me know if this was inappropriate. First off, is there any scanner avaliable for this? 1989 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 AW4 Tranny, 4wd, command-trac and 153 miles on the clock.

My engine is running strange. I was hoping you'd point me in the right direction. I do think of myself as rather handy, but I'm used to GM's.

Having said that, my engine runs like shit until it's warm. If I get on it, in park or neutral, or drive, it will take off, miss, take off, miss, either stall or take off and keep going. In park, if I go to rev it, It'll hit, miss once, then rev. As long as I'm above about 1100RPMs this isn't an issue, but it kinda sucks since I live in the city and I'm usually idling.

I just got this car, but it appears the owner before me, who is unreachable, has had this problem and was working to correct it. Spark plug wires appear to be new, plugs probably have less than 10k on them, and there was an unopened fuel filter box that came with the car. In addition, he opted for straight pipe instead of a cat. Would this make it run a little bit leaner than it should? There are two minor vaccum leaks that I need to straight out, but not enough to make the car run poorly I think.

I did check the plugs, they were gapped fine, with a bit of carbon on the tip. They were autolite plugs. Is this a poor choice for this engine? I usually only use AC-Delco. The dist. rotor looked reasonably clean, but the distributor cap had carbon tracks in it and some sort of rust like build up on the dist cap terminals that I couldn't get off. Enough to make it run poorly?

The engine misses at idle when cold, and is typically smooth when hot, with still a slight miss at idle. It also randomly stalls, usually when hot. Sometimes If I go to hit the gas, it will stall. Sometimes just coasting it will stall. It always restarts easily. Crank sensor?

Thanks guys, and If this isn't in the proper format, sorry.

Back