• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering box failure?

jdbwrx

NAXJA Forum User
I have a pretty good idea what happens when a steering box completely fails, but what happens when it's on the way out?

I am trying to sort out why my rig all of a sudden is really squirrely on the road. It kind of seems to track with a mind of it own, and there is a definite delay between truing the wheel and the Jeep reacting. The alignment is good, the track bar is tight, tires are OK, etc. The only thing recently, was the steering box was creaking, and seemed to be "moaning" a lot even when turning the wheel a small amount.

Just wondering if a failling steering box can result in quirky steering.

Hey.. I got the same problem here..I suspect that my gear box has delays also to the reaction of the road like you say... going to swap my gear box out this weekend..can i ask what size lift your runnin? ..thx stan

Check the steering box mounts... make sure you havent ripped it off the frame... That would make it do the same thing... If you have any lift or especially a pitman arm drop i would suggest steering box brace and a frame stiffiner.

Yea.. I'm running into the same problem... I just put new tie rod ends on it and it was better for some time and now it's back to the same old self. I have Rusty's 8'' w/ the box brace and the drop arm... Running out of ideas to correct it

Del00XJ said:
Yea.. I'm running into the same problem... I just put new tie rod ends on it and it was better for some time and now it's back to the same old self. I have Rusty's 8'' w/ the box brace and the drop arm... Running out of ideas to correct it

Mine tracks as well but i believe it to be because of my drag link angle. I am adding drop pitman arm, box brace, stiffiner and toeing in about an 1/8 inch. if that don't fix it then adjust the caster in 1 or 2 degrees.

Frank Z said:
Sure can. When mine started o go the steering was really sloppy. lot's of play in the steering wheel to. The Durango box upgrade made a world of difference.

Frank comes through again!

I actually did a search and read about that. It really doesn't look like a lot of fun. Just what I need though, one more f-in part to replace.

Back