• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

updating interior

bulldugg

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 87 XJ and have a chance to buy the interior out of a later model(98). My question is:

1. Are there any structural differences in the two years that would preclude the swapping of interiors? Dash supports, etc.

2. Are the interior dimensions the same?

I want to swap door panels, console, dash, seats, and trim work. I have a great condition XJ with all options (and all work). I have reconditioned or upgraded all the running gear, I just want a more updated interior now.

not sure on all questions however the trim is diffrent. the 87 has rear lap belts and the 98 has shoulder belts.

the seat bases are also diffrent. That change happened between 94 and 95

I'm just looking to replace door trim and dash if possible. I can handle the seat issue. Are the items I mentioned interchangable from 98 to 87?

If I recall correctly it has been done. however it is not a bolt in affair. The dash does not mount the same. I don't think the console mounts the same.

I think bolting the dash to the firewall wouldn't be too much trouble, but the wiring for the new guages using the old computer might not be realistic. I know this has been done in the past, but seem to remember people using all the newer electronics and drivetrain also...

I think I'll just have an upholstery shop recover the old stuff with newer styled matl. Is there a way to paint the dash with a vinyl paint?

bulldugg said:
I think I'll just have an upholstery shop recover the old stuff with newer styled matl. Is there a way to paint the dash with a vinyl paint?

I'm sure you could, just make sure its not too thick because you want it all to snap back together easily.

But if I were you, I'd get some nice seat covers, new floor mats, and a slick steering wheel cover. It will really change the feel of your Jeep.

Top all that off with a "new car smell" Christmas tree freshener and you'll think you have a new Jeep.

Also you could consider getting a white gauge background kit. They are all over ebay.

Back