• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Commonly broken XJ items...what are they?

rocknxj

NAXJA Forum User
OK, Jeeple, I have a question.

During my daily forum reading today (if only I had a computer in the bathroom), I noticed somebody mentioned they had a broken center console latch. Well, so do I.

This left me wondering. How many of you XJers out there have the same broken center console latch?

Better yet, what is the most commonly broken item (from normal use, only) on the XJ? Details, please. I want to know what my '99 is in for over the next few years.

By the way, I've also got broken and sticky vents. Bummer.

--
'99 Cherokee Sport (Old Blue)
3.5" RE lift and BFGs
Skids and hitches a plenty
Conn Ferr rack on top
Dirt and rocks on the bottom

Last edited:
rocknxj said:
OK, Jeeple, I have a question.

During my daily forum reading today (if only I had a computer in the bathroom), I noticed somebody mentioned they had a broken center console latch. Well, so do I.

This left me wondering. How many of you XJers out there have the same broken center console latch?

Better yet, what is the most commonly broken item (from normal use, only) on the XJ? Details, please. I want to know what my '99 is in for over the next few years.

By the way, I've also got broken and sticky vents. Bummer.

--
'99 Cherokee Sport (Old Blue)
3.5" RE lift and BFGs
Skids and hitches a plenty
Conn Ferr rack on top
Dirt and rocks on the bottom

I have 4 XJ's right now and three of them have broke console latches.

I would say the most common fault would have to be the valve cover gasket or tranny lines to radiator leaking at the plastic connectors. Also there are alot of issues with sensors TPS and NSS and Crank Position Sensor would be most often.

x2 on the console latch. Let's see what else..... AC only works through the defrost vent (broken vaccum line), just replaced the struts on the hatch, new ignition switch, new coil, new coolant tank, needs new freeze plugs as of this morning, new universal joints for front and rear DS, new drag link and TRE's (oops, skinny pedal and rocks don't mix), overhead console electronics quit working last month for no reason, low washer fluid light stays on all the time,......

Wow, this list just keeps getting longer..... 1990 Limited w/ 228,000 and no major engine work.... yet. Still would'nt get rid of the old girl, she has character (I guess that what they call it...) :D

Let's see.

Sport Driver's seat always tears above the recline adjuster, bad design,
A/C evaporator always fails and aux fan often fails.
Center latch on mine is also broken.
Fan speed resistor pack often corrodes away.
Steering stabilizer does not last long.
rear shock nuts always snap off (I know that well)...

All in all, XJ's kick ass because almost everything else is rock solid. Long live the 4.0!

Horn, cruise just failed in my 2000.....but the airbag light is always on now, so I've got that going for me......hmmmm, wonder if the bag will deploy if I'm in an accident.........?

Add the "consumable" clock spring to the list. 97-2001 units seem to die on or around 100K miles.

Havent had the clockspring/horn/cc failure yet, knock on wood. BTW the airbags wont deploy upon impact if there is a trouble code in the airbag system...

Don't have a broken console latch, amazingly enough. Most common problems I would say would be the radiator/cooling system, and the darn blinker/hazard light switch. I have had that thing go out on me 3 times now and I have only owned the 1999 Jeep for 2.5 years. Another vote for the driver's seat tearing right above the recline adjuster, but nobody sees that but me, since I am always driving.

I always have to refill my gas tank....at least once a week that damn thing goes empty on me....

JNickel101 said:
I always have to refill my gas tank....at least once a week that damn thing goes empty on me....
I know, POS XJs and their 10mpg. Seriously...

Have to mention the window regulators stripping out in this thread...
As far as the seat rip, I caught mine early and used an iron on patch (cloth of course) and so far, 8 months it hasn't spread any.

2000: Broken centre console latch, continually loosening console lid screws. Severed both front speaker wires. Passenger side window switch works intermittently, Driver's side unlock no longer works, power mirrors on passenger side no longer work (they won't move), rear defroster quit for a while, makes some really funny noises; a clunk on braking :eek: and a chattering on acceleration/bumps, uhh.... Perpetually broken fan shroud :banghead:. Squeaky dash.

1991: broken Drivers side seat internal frame, broken seat rail, burnt out some dash lights, cracked vaccum lines, shifter knob came losse (5 speed), worn out some U-Joints.... other than that... OH! Drivers side window regulator won't go down the last two inches.

XJEEPER said:
Horn, cruise just failed in my 2000.....but the airbag light is always on now, so I've got that going for me......hmmmm, wonder if the bag will deploy if I'm in an accident.........?

Add the "consumable" clock spring to the list. 97-2001 units seem to die on or around 100K miles.

My 2000 has the airbag light on at times but not all the time. Does that mean it will deploy when needed as I notice it turnes off looking down at it for that one second and wreck? :dunce::looney::wstupid::doh::twak::wierd:

Back