• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mediokra Glass Install?

sgtpeeper

NAXJA Forum User
I just had a new windshield put in my 97 XJ today. I'm disappointed with the molding and I'm going to talk to them tomorrow about redoing it. Part of the problem is, the windshield isn't centered. It's butt up against one of the pillars and on the other one there is a big gap. I can see this when I look under the molding. What gives it away is the top corner on one side lies on top of the end of the rain gutter; it can't go down flat and the rain gutter is going to direct water right underneath. Question is, how well centered should I expect the windshield to be? There was only one tech putting it in. It looks like it should be a two person job to ensure it's centered correctly on a vehicle this size. This molding is also wider than the original. Should I insist they get one from a dealer? Does anyone know if the OEM ones are still the same width as original (97), or are they making them wider these days?

thanks

sgtpeeper said:
Question is, how well centered should I expect the windshield to be? There was only one tech putting it in. It looks like it should be a two person job to ensure it's centered correctly on a vehicle this size.

Mmm... Disagreed. I had my front 'screen replaced last November, and it was a one-man job. He used a little more sealant on the passenger side A-pillar than I would've liked - but he got it centred without issue.

This molding is also wider than the original. Should I insist they get one from a dealer? Does anyone know if the OEM ones are still the same width as original (97), or are they making them wider these days?

No idea on that - I believe he reused mine.

I just had aftermarket put in by my buddy and it is perfect, new seal and centered. The seals always look like crap though at the lower corners. Once the glass is set in you can get it centered then tape it and leave a window cracked for a few days to let it set up. I was a tech for the body shop he worked at and helped him set quite a few in so you must have just had a bad install.

Back