• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gears

rhino317

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 4.5" lift with 33's and stock gears so im looking to do some regearing. i was told to do 4.56's but i was wondering if 4.88 would be possible on a D30 and if so which one would be better for my setup?

thanks!

ive got 4.56(in the rear at least) and am going to 33's. the 30 will take up to 4.88
http://www.ringpinion.com/PartsList.aspx?SearchMode=Make&MakeID=7&MakeName=Jeep+%2f+AMC&ModelID=393&ModelName=XJ&Side=Front&DiffID=74&DiffName=Dana+Spicer+D30+Reverse+Rotation&CatID=10&CatName=Rings+%26+Pinions&CatType=Sub-Differential

If its a daily driver my advice is stick with 4.56. If you want to "kill the rocks" then a 4.88 ratio would be the way to go. Although, killing the rocks takes some planing when building a 30, or any axle for that matter. just one guys o-pinionhasta

rhino317 said:
lol but im planning on doing front and back
I should damn well hope you plan on doing front and back. You can not run different gearings in front and rear axles. That is when things start to explode. The stress of the front wheels turning at a significantly different speed than the rear will leave you with broken axles and, in my friends case, broken t-case as well.

Good, you can run different gears in the front and rear axles for the time being, like if you only have enough money for the rear right now. But don't put it in 4wheel drive, thats when things explode.

And I was just trying to help so that you didn't explode those nice new gears you just put in, as well as have to dish out a lot more for repairs.

I just put in 4.56's and had originally planned on putting in 4.88's to accomodate 35's. The reason I chose to stay with the 4.56's is this: We all know that with upgraded axles, gears and big tires, the dana 30's weak link becomes the ring and pinion. With the 4.56 gears, you have three gear teeth in contact. With the 4.88's, you drop down to only two teeth in contact. it might not mean much, but I decided to play it safe and opt for a little stronger instead of a little more torque. Good luck.

rhino317 said:
i have a 4.5" lift with 33's and stock gears so im looking to do some regearing. i was told to do 4.56's but i was wondering if 4.88 would be possible on a D30 and if so which one would be better for my setup?

thanks!
It doesnt matter since your 8.25 only goes to 4.56!

Back