• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help me spend my money. Exhaust replacement.

MisterFubar

NAXJA Forum User
99 XJ 4.0 AW4.

I've decided to replace my entire exhaust system due to a few leaks, a couple dents, a crack starting to form in my manifold and a slow responding 02 sensor.

I'm replacing both 02 sensors, the manifold, the midpipe, the cat, and everything behind the cat. What kind of options do I have?

Anyone had any luck with the NGK 02 sensors that Summit sells? They are more than a few bucks cheaper than anything else I can find, but I don't want to buy junk.

Same with the Magniflow cat, worth it? Or should I just go with a more expensive OEM replacement?

What about these manifolds off Ebay? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...132790776&rd=1 Anyone buy one, seems a little better than a stocker, but much cheaper than any of the header options. I'm also leaning towards a Pacesetter header, and getting it coated. I like the design of it, and the price is very appealing.

I know, it's a lot of questions and some of them were answered in my searches, but I always like to get fresh opinions. I'd like to get away with spending around 500 including the 02 sensors. I know this doesn't give me a whole lot of options, but I know I can get a much better than stock system.

Muffler and tailpipe... I'll just pick up a muffler and bend up my own, unless there is a great bolt on kit for cheap. A big shiny exhaust tip is NOT a priority for me.

Almost any and all input is appreciated. :patriot:

A couple more notes...

I've got a 258 that looks to be a great stroker doner, so the new exhaust will need to be future proof. :clap:

The engine is breathing through a volant CAI, and basically has a brand new igntition system.

all that i have replaced on my exhaust system for the cherokee was a cat-back system. a good system can be found on quadratec.com its made by dynomaxx it comes with tail pipes nd everything....or if u wanna make it louder i now have a flowmaster super 40 exhaust nd its sounds good but doesnt come with pipes

XcherokeeX said:
or if u wanna make it louder i now have a flowmaster super 40 exhaust nd its sounds good but doesnt come with pipes

This is a DD, and I spend all day working around loud noises so I don't want it loud. A little louder than stock with a good tone is fine, but I'm getting too old to drive something with a loud exhaust. :smoker:

I've had the NGK O2 sensors from Summit for awhile now and they seem to work great - no problems!!!!

magnaflow cat is fine. Just as good as a OEM one as far as i can tell and from what i hear there is no major difference (old man is a fuel systems enginer) same with NGK o2 sensor. You would be better off making sure no one ever uses o2 harmful solvents near your o2 than worring the quality of NGK.
All the cat made of is a honeycomb with patinum dust on it to get superheated and burn up the unspent fuel and gases the engine didnt consume.

Not worth the coin for a "performance" cat even much less an OEM one. Good aftermarket like catco or magnaflow is fine.

Money is better spent on a highquality stainless header,

I have a borla header to magnaflow cat, to a rustys cat back kit with the flowmaster 50 series (original not the delta flow), 2 1/2" pipes front to back. Sounds badass, though i did it like you mine was falling off and i had a cracked manifold. When i got my borla it was 350-360 ish (2002/3), metal prices are through the roof cause of china bying up everyhting. But if you want nice stuff i would spend more on the header and you can swap out a cat in no time compared to a header. I bet you cat will go 80,000 miles unless you run a rich as hell fuel mixture and burn it up and even then it would last like 50,000 or a considerable time.

Make the quality header your priority.

motorcityxj said:
magnaflow cat is fine. Just as good as a OEM one as far as i can tell and from what i hear there is no major difference (old man is a fuel systems enginer) same with NGK o2 sensor.
Thanks, I've always had great luck with NGK plugs... I never knew they made O2 sensors.

motorcityxj said:
Money is better spent on a highquality stainless header,

Make the quality header your priority.

I'm having trouble justifying the money to purchase a stainless header. I may eventually go all out on my XJ, but right now it's just my DD and with a baby on the way, and an incomplete project truck in the garage I'd rather spend the money on something else. If it was in the budget I'd get ceramic coated over stainless to help keep the underhood temps a little lower.

Unless I find a cheaper header, It's either going to be a Pacesetter, or an OEM style replacement like APN. For the record, I've used Pacesetter headers on several different vehicles in the past, and yes the paint sucks, but the headers are well built and hold up.

I have a Gibson stainless catback and Random cat. Thinking about a Banks header.

anyone know the difference between catback exhausts from 96-00 and pre-95?
cause as far as i can tell there is no difference. maybe the hangers or offset of the muffler is different? i cant tell. if there is no difference, then that would open up a much larger variety of mufflers to use for my 94 4dr.xj

philagony94xj said:
anyone know the difference between catback exhausts from 96-00 and pre-95?
cause as far as i can tell there is no difference. maybe the hangers or offset of the muffler is different? i cant tell. if there is no difference, then that would open up a much larger variety of mufflers to use for my 94 4dr.xj
Looks like the offset of the muffler is different. I imagine the hangars are probably in different locations, but there is really no way to tell without them sitting side by side. EDIT* 2 Inch outlet on the 93-95 muffler, 2.25" on 96-00

2478jj5.gif

2480zm5.gif

MisterFubar said:
Thanks for sharing that.
Uh, okay........

And some have bolt together flange mounts instead of slip fit.

As for the o2 sensor, I got mine Brand New Borg Warner from ebay for $25 shipped. It was a smoking good deal. I ended up replacing the wrong one (thank you auto zone and mr. counter guy who said it was the pre-cat when it was the past cat sensor) and had to get one locally (wholesale) from ACdelco for $47, also works great. The place I got mine from on Ebay sells universal o2 sensors from companies like Borg Warner, NGK, Bosch, ACdelco, etc all for smoking cheap prices. Check them out.

selarep said:
As for the o2 sensor, I got mine Brand New Borg Warner from ebay for $25 shipped. It was a smoking good deal. I ended up replacing the wrong one (thank you auto zone and mr. counter guy who said it was the pre-cat when it was the past cat sensor) and had to get one locally (wholesale) from ACdelco for $47, also works great. The place I got mine from on Ebay sells universal o2 sensors from companies like Borg Warner, NGK, Bosch, ACdelco, etc all for smoking cheap prices. Check them out.

I'll check out some of the O2 sensors on ebay when I get home, Uncle Sugar doesn't like me surfing ebay at work.

I don't really want to use universals, if I can retain the stock connecter without any cuts/splices I'd rather go that route.

It's times like these I wish I was still working parts and could get everything at cost+10. :doh:

If you wanna save money then get a universal and be happy. Just make sure you use the right butt connectors/shrink wrap rubber when you do it. you'll be fine, a little splice is not gonna kill you. Solder it and heat shrink it.
If no, then plan on spending $60+ for one sensor... when you can get 2 for $50

selarep said:
a little splice is not gonna kill you.

I guess it's not the splice that really bothers me, its the reusing of my buggered up O2 connecters. If I can source a couple of the O2 side connecters on the cheap/free, I will do that.

What about SNG O2 sensors? I'm finding universals online for about 30 a pop, and direct fits for about 35. I like saving money, but I rate replacing defective parts.

Back