• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lift Kit - Holy Crap - Part 2

boomer1

NAXJA Forum User
Hi everyone
First just wanted to say THANKS to everyone that responded to my previous posting on information about putting on my new Rubicon lift kit.

As the title states, I was really expecting HOLY CRAP. Actually it went better than I thought.

First - the suggestion to soak everything down with PB Blaster really helped. Start on the rear passenger side and actually managed to get both the front and rear bolts off without any problems. When I started the driver's side - different story. Back bolt, no problem. The front bolt was turning, but the sleve in the bushing was rusted solid, and while the bolt was moving out, the sleve hit the outside bracket and started pushing it out.

It may seems like overkill, but I took the cut off wheel and cut the spring off, just before the eye. Turned the bolt and bushing 180 degrees and proceeded to cut through the spring again. Both pieces fell off, leaving the rubber bushing. Cut through that until I got it off the sleve. Sprayed it down with PB, let it soaked, heated it up with the torch, until I could turn the bolt out. Managed to save the nut inside the unibody. Bought all new hardware and installed the new rear leaf packs.

To everyone that said the 3 1/2" Rubicon rear leafs would raise it more than that, you were right, actual as it sits right now, it raised the rear 5 inches.

Front springs - actually really easy. Lifted the front, pulled the wheels, disconnected the JKS sway disconnects, droped the drag link and compressed the springs. Came right out. Compressed the news springs, reinstalled and buttoned everything back up.

Plan on running it a few days and then retighten everything and have the front in re-alined.

Anyway - Can say it enough! Thanks again for all the suggestions and the excellent advise. Simple fact is I saved myself $500 from having someone else install the lift and got the satisfaction of doing it myself.

you were lucky, i am in the process of doing mine right now (rear axle on the ground till i get new ubolts) and this thing has been a real PITA, we had to angle grind the bolts and the front bolt on the leaf spring is just NOT comming off. good thing i have all day tomarrow off too..

Back