• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cat back exhaust compatability

87baseomatic

NAXJA Forum User
I just picked up a dynomax catback from summit as well as a new cat. My xj is a 1992 and the cat is a catco direct fit. I know that will fit perfect as I used the same on my old renix 4.0. But the catback I bought is for 93 and up. I didn't want 2.5" exhuast and the 87-92 ones only comes that way. I prefer 2.25" as its a stock motor and I don't need that large of an exhaust. That and I think it killed some of the low end on my old 87 xj.

I checked on the muffler specs its the same dimensions, just need to expand it the slightest bit to slip over the cat. But I am not 100% sure if the tailpipe hangars are gonna be in the same place and its been raining so I haven't been able to get under the car and hold things up. The current tailpipe is tweaked and rigged so I can't really use it to go off of.

thanks in advance.

I just installed the Dynomax catback on my 94. The hangers worked well.

I did have an issue getting the tailpipe located properly, might not be an issue if your not running extended shackles.

John B said:
I just installed the Dynomax catback on my 94. The hangers worked well.

I did have an issue getting the tailpipe located properly, might not be an issue if your not running extended shackles.

I also put the Catco and Dynomax combination on my '94 and everything bolted up fine (stock).

It's too bad I had to discard the tailpipe yesterday due to clearance issues with my new 8.8 rearend (a custom bent pipe solved the issue, though at a price).

Back