• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CB Radio and PA Speaker

almondjoy137

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys just had a quick question or two. I got one of the Radio Shack CB's for $10 brand new and decided what the hell I'll put it in. One question I had was how is it wired? I have a couple of buddies that had different methods; through the fuse box or the power outlet, which both worked fine but I'd like to be able to use it while the Jeep is off, so I was thinking of running it straight through my battery. I didnt know if that was bad or not so if anyone had some advice on where I could do it that would be great. Also, I'm thinkin of putting in a PA speaker but I didnt see any setting for it so I didnt know if it was possible. I know theres an external device headphone jack looking thing on the back so I assumed thats where it would go. Anyone have any experiences with that? thanks a lot.

-Ben

Last edited:
you can run it off your battery, BUT you will need a INLINE fuse..Do you have the manaul for it, it will tell you the size fuse you need for it.. Also look in there for your PA hook up

If you have a "power point" (aux cig lighter thing at the bottom of your dash) you can run it inline with a fuse to that....thats what I did. Power to it, Jeep on or off....

There should be a few open points in the fuse box deppending on what you have installed. I just put my CB into an always on slot with an inline fuse.

Most radios are made to hook straight into the battery with an in-line fuse. Although any way you get power to it will allow it to work, hooking it straight to the battery will allow the battery to act like a filter for unwanted electrical noise such as alternator whine.

Good luck.

ah that was another thing...the "always on" fuses in the box in the jeep, which ones are and which aren't? because I was messing with my stereo system earlier this week and thought I blew a fuse and I think I put one back in teh wrong spot and I have my fog light power wired into one of the slots and now they stay on all the time regardless of whether the lights are on or not...before they just came on when I turned my lights on...is there a site online where I can see which fuses are which or is it in the owner's manual or something...i've misplaced mine or i would have checked already :p

Thanks for the advice on the CB tho I think i'll do the inline fuse in an always on slot.

I wired mine straight to the battery, and got no noise (Cobra 19 from Walmart). However, I previously had a Uniden with a front mounted speaker, about 70 bucks, and it was horrible, picked up all sorts of noises from the car. They were wired the same exact way, and no changes were made to the antenna or power lines, just simply changed the radios. I guess some radios are more prone to this "outside noise".

The first time through with CB's I wired them into the fuse box in the pass-side footwell and got a ton of noise, so like they've said above, the battery is the best place to wire to and from.

Back