• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tire deflators

karstic

NAXJA Forum User
Within the last month I remember reading about a new adjustable tire deflator that was coming out on the market. It was similar to the Stauns but the major difference was that the deflator was adjustable on the spot. You could rotate the body and choose what pressure you wanted between 10-20 psi in 2 psi increments. I can't remember if I saw it on the net somewhere or in a magazine, maybe the magazine that 4 Wheel Parts sends out.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

That would be Cool, I have the Oasis deflators and they are semi crappy. I also have a currie(or one just like it) it works great. Its faster to do each tire individually than do the oasis on all four tires.

Yeah I like the Stauns cause like the Ronco roaster you can "Set it and forget it" but the addition of a selectable psi was kinda nice.

While I know you're talking about the automatic type, I just got a set of RADS and love them. They air-down waaay faster then even pulling the core out of the valve stem.

When I use them, I put a gauge on the existing valve stem and monitor the pressure as it drops. My 35" tires take about 20 seconds to go from 30 psi to 10 psi, and I can do all four tires before most folks have one tire aired down with any other system. Install is super easy and quick. Check 'em out.

-----Matt-----

I like the Stauns cause you can screw em on then go disconnect. By the time you're done disconnecting the tires are deflated.

I've got one auto deflater, he is 13 years old. I do the disconnect(actually I unbolt the sway) and then we spend the next 30 min. checking each others rigs out or telling the noobies how un-prepared thier rig is and how they should just park and ride with someone.

xjtrailrider said:
I've got one auto deflater, he is 13 years old. I do the disconnect(actually I unbolt the sway) and then we spend the next 30 min. checking each others rigs out or telling the noobies how un-prepared thier rig is and how they should just park and ride with someone.

Ha, that sounds like some shit I used to put up with... Still Is. LOL I need lockers bad!

IXNAYXJ said:
They air-down waaay faster then even pulling the core out of the valve stem.

-----Matt-----

How do ya figure that?

Weasel said:
here you go

http://www.quadratec.com/products/p...+Select+Tire+Deflators&pn=95203.900,95203.901

I guess I don't understand what the big deal is about airing down quickly. I have some check deflators I screw on each tire and it lets the air out. About 10 mins and they are all done. Gives me time to check everything over, get cargo strapped or rearranged, talk whatever. Whats the rush.

Ouch! Yeah those were the ones I saw.

At $100 bucks, I hope they come with a reach around:moon:

There are some for 60$ in Cherokee Essientials i think thats the name of the magazine they air down to I think 5 psi is the lowest they go, they are adjustable accurate within .02 psi or something close to that.

IXNAYXJ said:
While I know you're talking about the automatic type, I just got a set of RADS and love them. They air-down waaay faster then even pulling the core out of the valve stem.

-----Matt-----
I went to a local shop that sells those today and was very impressed with them. They are of the highest quality materials and workmanship. With the amount of total area of deflating holes on these things, I readily believe they could air down a 33 in less than 30 seconds. I didn't buy them as I is po' and could not slip that one past the wife, (easily that is) I'm scheming on how to slip them in somewhere.

xalexjx said:
Go with the Currie-EZ deflator. Bought one this spring and i love it.

Sorry for bringing this back up but I'm somewhere between the Stauns and the Currie-EZ. The Stauns are about twice the price at $65 shipped but they automatically do all four tires. If I'm not mistaken the Currie deflator does not have an automatic setting correct?

I deflated my 31's once last fall on a trip out with a buddy and it took us about 30 mins to get to ~20psi on 8 tires with a typical air gauge...that was frustrating! I want it quicker.

One option I thought about was buying a set of the Stauns and selling a pair to a buddy. That way we'd each have two going at once and it would only be about $32 each.

dude, use a key, or a screwdriver... it doesn't take THAT long...!!!

:thumbup:
88JeepXJ said:
Sorry for bringing this back up but I'm somewhere between the Stauns and the Currie-EZ. The Stauns are about twice the price at $65 shipped but they automatically do all four tires. If I'm not mistaken the Currie deflator does not have an automatic setting correct?

I deflated my 31's once last fall on a trip out with a buddy and it took us about 30 mins to get to ~20psi on 8 tires with a typical air gauge...that was frustrating! I want it quicker.

One option I thought about was buying a set of the Stauns and selling a pair to a buddy. That way we'd each have two going at once and it would only be about $32 each.

no but your not always going to want the same pressure for every trail, i had stuans but when they rattled around in the glovebox all the settings were always being changed..But those were some really old ones, i think the newer ones are different..
Its also nice to know exactly what your tires are at, some of those adjustable ones are only +- 3psi

Back