• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

chirp when I drive

imfrankyj

NAXJA Forum User
There is a chirp that I cant locate. I have had my wife drive while I listened and walked next to it and I cant locate it. it only does it when it is rolling. it squeeks/chirps about 3 or 4 times per tire rotation. Is there a common problem that does this? Is it a bearing on the drive shaft or something? It seems like this happend to my wrangler a while back and it was like $800 to fix of course that was under warenty so it didn't really cost me taht much. Is there a good way to check to find the problem. also I am going to Silverton Colorado in a week so I could use some help to get this fixed soon!

Thanks!

Brakes? Warped rotor....?

that kinda happens with me too, every now and again it will chirp, i got the brakes checked out and the mechanic said they were fine...im kinda leaning toward an axle bearing, but im not sure

yeah I was wandering about that but the brake pedal feels really smooth when depressed. and they apear to have plenty of pad left.

Does it sound like the brakes are bad?But they are good and a little squeek to?If so its your wheel bearings if you do it your self it shouldent be over 120$ bucks.

Put everything in Neutral (Tranny and TC) and spin the driveshafts on your own, see if you can pinpoint the squeaking that way...?

JNickel101 said:
Put everything in Neutral (Tranny and TC) and spin the driveshafts on your own, see if you can pinpoint the squeaking that way...?

Most of the time they won't squeak unless you have a load on them.

You could try by pulling the front driveshaft and driving around. If it goes away than there is your problem. If it doesn't it could be your rear shaft, but you can't pull that and drive around without an SYE or you will leak fluid all over the place.

Do U-joints chirp? I know U-joints can clunk when they are put in gear. if they do that might be it. I have a 3" lift so there has been the extra stress.

Just to clarify: the chirp is in the front of the vehicle and is not isolated on one side or the other. The chirping is about four times per wheel revilution. It sounds the same hot or cold, under stress or without stress (uphill or downhill)
Gotta be either a bearing or a u-joint IMHO.

I was getting a squeeking noise from the front of my jeep as well. and shortly after it started i found out that one of my u joints was on its way out so i replaced it and the squeeking went away.

I serviced a van that had a loud "chirp" or sharp squeak whenever it drove around. Turned out to be the u-joint in the driveshaft. It had run out of lube and was grinding itself into bits. Noise went away after a ujoint change.

my hub chirps like crazy. i jacked up the wheel and moved it around while looking at my tre and other joints. they didn't move but the hub itself moved more than a 1/4 inch. i have a new one and two new u-joints as well to replace it with so hopefully that cures my problem. good luck!

Its the u-joints. Tweet-tweet, tweet-tweet. The birds are hungry feed them grease. If that fixes it and it stays gone great. If it comes back in a few weeks replace the joints.

John

I have a slight chirp at times too. I know its not the brakes, ENTIRE new brake system, have a pedal with no more than 1" of travel. I have also ruled out u-joints. Not exhaust either, NEW exhaust: engine pipe on back. Last place I can think of is somewhere low in the engine, will check it out with steth. scope tomorrow.
I have had a dry u-joint that chirped/squeaked that drove me nuts. I would check them.

Back