• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil pressue too high?

Tampa_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
hovers at about 60psi on startup and stay between 40-50 after it warms up. All my other 4.0s seem to start at 50ish but then run between 20-40 depending on rpm... What would cause it to run so high? I have a rattle that sounds like a rod bearing is going out that I'm wonder if the 2 are related, but from my experience when a rod bearing goes out the pressure drops.

Bad sender - 20w-50 oil ...

The factory limits are 75 for oil pressure. This doesn't mean squat to the engine. It's the recommended stress limit on the oil pump drive on the bottom of your distributor.

If that rattle is just a start up rattle, ditch the Fram (or other cheaper filter) and get one with a silion anti-drainback valve (WIX, PureOne).

Mine runs around 60 at startup, especially when cold, and when doing anything but idling it will stay around 40-50. Idling it may get to 25 if very hot, but no lower. I don't think you have a problem.

pauldo39 said:
Mine runs around 60 at startup, especially when cold, and when doing anything but idling it will stay around 40-50. Idling it may get to 25 if very hot, but no lower. I don't think you have a problem.

I'm with him unless you have a real high milage or this is a new development. If either is the case then the oil filter is your only answer to such a problem IMHO.

I beg your pardon? In an otherwise functional engine with a viable oil pump, just how does a filter effect anything? A filter MAY add pressure elevations between it and the pump to a very minor degree ..virtually nothing. You may get a blip at startup ..but once the galleries are full ..the filter is as though it isn't even there. The only time that there is substantial differential across the filter is if the pump is in relief. I guess if you left it on too long, you may actually be able to load it enough to produce some measurable PSID.

Okay ..sure ..don't buy a Fram. Buy a PureOne or a Wix ..Motorcraft with a silicon ADBV.

Most nitrile ADBV will decay/degrade within 3k ...maybe sooner. That's a Fram signature characteristic.

My 91 runs the exact same pressure range. I'm thinking his engine is normal in that regards. Personally, I get more nervous over low pressure than high.

Try swapping 2 of the different OPSs (Oil Pressure Senders) and see if the pressure differences move with the senders. Also try cleaning the pressure sender contact and wiring harness connectors on all three. A poor connection there (Loose, oily) can affect the gauge readings because it adds resistance and therefore increases the voltage (or reduces the current) at the OPS gauge which affects the oil pressure gauge reading.

What years are these? I ask because there was sensor change at some point where they went from reading 80 psi (pegged) for a disconnected OPS wire, to reading 0 psi for a disconnected wire, as I recall. If you do the OPS swap make sure they are the same part, interchangable.

If this is something new with that jeep (higher oil pressure plus a new noise) I would also replace the oil filter immediately, just to play it safe, and then see what happens. They can self destruct internally . If it has had the higher oil pressure all along, or for quite some time (since before the filter was changed for instance) I would try the OPS swap and leave the oil filter alone.

Either way I would try the OPS swap right away, or get a known good mechanical pressure gauge and test the pressure on the higher one with the engine noise. If the sender is bad and the oil pressure is really something like 5psi :eek:, you will want to know that right away!

Tampa_XJ said:
hovers at about 60psi on startup and stay between 40-50 after it warms up. All my other 4.0s seem to start at 50ish but then run between 20-40 depending on rpm... What would cause it to run so high? I have a rattle that sounds like a rod bearing is going out that I'm wonder if the 2 are related, but from my experience when a rod bearing goes out the pressure drops.

I did some checking on this recently and found the oil pressure sensor/sender is getting its pressure reading from the clean, filtered oil side of the oil filter, between the filter and the oil galleries on the 4.0 engines. Under normal conditions as the filter gets plugged up the oil pressure, or GAUGE pressure will drop, until or unless the bypass valve on the filter opens allowing unfiltered oil to bypass the filter and go directly to the engine, or if the filter is defective or damaged, and it goes into a bypass mode due to the damage.

On a 4.0 engine the oil filter will not normally add pressure to the gauge pressure at any time, as it is on the wrong side of the plumbing.

I disagree with geeaea's claim that there is little or no pressure drop across the oil filter media. I do not have actual test data, but all my industrial filter experience tells me there is some pressure drop across the oil filter, even across a new oil filter, maybe as much as 5 psi. I have never seen a filter that did not create a measurable signiificant pressure drop in service.

As geeaea has pointed out with the blip at start up comment, there maybe a larger pressure drop across the filter as the oil galleries fill up, but once the flow is restricted by the engine itself there will be less flow through the filter, and thus less pressure drop across the filter.

So why would there be a substantial pressure drop (differential) across the filter when the oil pump is in the relief mode only? That happens at 75 PSI as you pointed out, so why would this happen (large diferential) at 75 psi and not at 60 psi (large differential)?

OH, and I found this comment real interesting!

geeaea said:
Most nitrile ADBV will decay/degrade within 3k ...maybe sooner. That's a Fram signature characteristic.

I knew that silicone ADBVs are better, far supperior to nitrile, but I did not know the nitrile in the Frams would fail that fast. I knew the Fram ADB valves were no good, sometimes don't even work right out of the box :(, but that is most interesting to hear that nitrile seal material they use can fail that fast.

geeaea said:
I beg your pardon? In an otherwise functional engine with a viable oil pump, just how does a filter effect anything? A filter MAY add pressure elevations between it and the pump to a very minor degree ..virtually nothing. You may get a blip at startup ..but once the galleries are full ..the filter is as though it isn't even there. The only time that there is substantial differential across the filter is if the pump is in relief. I guess if you left it on too long, you may actually be able to load it enough to produce some measurable PSID.

Mikeforte said:
I'm with him unless you have a real high milage or this is a new development. If either is the case then the oil filter is your only answer to such a problem IMHO.

ops is reading accurately, swapped it out to check... The noise is more than likely unrelated as I'm 98% sure its a cracked flywheel plate. Oil pressure doesn't particularly bother me, I've just never had it run that high before on any of my 4.0 jeeps. Witht 242K on the odometer I figured oil pressure would be going down not up!

Back