• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rustys Package

lanceevox

NAXJA Forum User
What do you guys think about this package?

http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/mercha...tys&Product_Code=PERFXJ&Category_Code=PER_AIR
-There are also a couple of muffler options what should I get? Most of my exhaust/muffler is rusted. The muffler is coming apart at the seals.
-Also, is it pretty easy to install the muffler/exhaust? Do I need anything special to do it? If the hangers/clamps are rusted/fused together can I still take it off pretty ez?
-I have a stock 96 cherokee sport 4x4 /w 64k, 5 speed manual.

Last edited:
Personally, I'll never buy anything else from those knuckleheads BUT...there are a good number of people running that setup and they are pleased. Most stick with the Flowmaster 40 or 50. Install will be easy. A sawzall makes life really nice when doing a cat back system b/c you can quickly get a clean cut and you don't have to waste too much time with the corroded parts that don't wanna separate. Hang it loosely and make adjustments (by rotating the muffler or the tailpipe as needed) so things don't rub and then tighten up the clamps.

i have the kit and it works great. it was super easy to install. i have the flowmaster 40 and it sounds really good. i say you should get it.

I have it. I like the flowmaster 40. It's not as loud as I thought it would be. When I got the kit the tail pipe they sent was too short, had to make an 8" pipe to make everything fit right. When I opened the kit I felt a little dumb because I could have gone out and bought all the same pieces they just sent me. Live and learn. From Rustys or not it's an easy upgrade you can do yourself with minimal tools. I'd add a cut off wheel with what riverfever said.

i bought it two days ago

I have had it for two years now. The kit really helped with throttle response and I noticed a few less shifts hear and there. I would say it took me an hour or so to take the old stuff out and bolt the new stuff in. If I had to do it again I would purchase the same kit with the same Flowmaster muffler!

I bought that a couple years ago for my 89. I have the flow 50. I seem to recall it being a bit cheaper though, but not sure about that.

The 40 vs 50 has been talked about. The 40 is louder.

I bought the kit a little over a year ago.
I got the flowmaster 50.

Easy install, I angle grinded the muffler inlet so I could bang the muffler off the pipe coming out of the cat.. Then I just sawzall'd the tail pipe off because it was a pain trying to get it out.
Then it's all slip on, clamp down, and your good.

imboostedru said:
How much different is the tailpipe on that system than the stock one?

mandral bends and bigger piping

lowrange2 said:
You get noticable power differences with this? I need a new muffler anyways!

flows alot better.

hehehe... "rustys package" hehehehe...

ON a serious note. I bought the muffler and tailpipe. I liked it and it's been on my jeep over 100K. I had to replace the muffler at one point because I used it as a skid plate but other than that no complaints. I had his front coils, they sagged pretty bad in a few years.

Back