• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 35 spool

rockcrawler

NAXJA Forum User
Is there such a thing as a spool for my dana 35 thats in the rear of my 97 XJ? Or a welded diff recomended, or a good locker thats not too $$$. A spool would be good, because I just wheel in my Jeep, and dont daily drive it at all. What would you guys recomend.

You're kidding, right? The D35 is a weak li'l toothpick of an axle - don't bother spooling it, especially if your username is halfway accurate. Upgrade the axle and spool that.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Well then they use lockers for the rear D35 and when its locked is it the same as you would have the spool. Isn't the only diffrence between a spool and a locker is that the locker is unlocked on the street?

"they" is people who havent yet destroyed their dana 35. *all* dana 35's break eventually, when locked and used with bigger tires. It was not intended for that kind of application and will not hold up to it.

Find yourself an 8.25, d44, 8.8 or 9" and spool that; otherwise your going to find yourself broken on teh trail with half of an axle sticking up from a wheel next to your rig.

screw the 35......

your gonna get that alot.

screw spools.

at the very least get a lockrite to maintain some sort of driveabillity.

If it's a DD go 8.25 with a lunchbox locker. If it's a trail only rig you can use a spool. Even if it's a trail rig, though, your axles and such will last much longer with a lunchbox locker than with a spool.

rockcrawler said:
So OK I know that D35 is weak when using a spool, but are there any spools out there for a D35, I couldn't find any. Who make them, any names???

If I knew the names of any, I would tell you. I don't know why everyone is giving you such a hard time. They are right that the 35 will probably break, but you didn't ask that.
Take the carrier out and take it to a machine shop and have them weld the spider gears and wheel it til it breaks. It shouldn't cost too much.

rockcrawler said:
So OK I know that D35 is weak when using a spool, but are there any spools out there for a D35, I couldn't find any. Who make them, any names???
upgrade he damn axle, dont waste your time or money with the 35, its not even worth welding

rockcrawler said:

The D35 is a weak axle with or without a locker or a spool......second of all your D35 has C clips, and in order to run a spool you would need C clip eliminators which means you will be tossing even more money in to it. For the cost of all this you could probably get a 29 spline 8.25 and get a locker for it.....or go buy an 8.8 ford and lock that. Don't go wasting money on that crappy axle, it's really not worth it.

Justin

so you tell him c clips are bad and then recomend c clip axles for replacement........ :confused1

8.8 is too much work for the lazy average xj'er anyways..

hey man heres how you spool a 35...pull the carrier out and take it to a welding shop, tell them to weld the spider gears together. have fun.

there ive done it.

he'll be back for axle swap advice for sure now.

xjjeeper19 said:
The D35 is a weak axle with or without a locker or a spool......second of all your D35 has C clips, and in order to run a spool you would need C clip eliminators which means you will be tossing even more money in to it. For the cost of all this you could probably get a 29 spline 8.25 and get a locker for it.....or go buy an 8.8 ford and lock that. Don't go wasting money on that crappy axle, it's really not worth it.

Justin

xDUMPTRUCKx said:
so you tell him c clips are bad and then recomend c clip axles for replacement........ :confused1

8.8 is too much work for the lazy average xj'er anyways..

hey man heres how you spool a 35...pull the carrier out and take it to a welding shop, tell them to weld the spider gears together. have fun.

there ive done it.

he'll be back for axle swap advice for sure now.

I not saying c-clips are bad...I was just saying that they don't make spools for a c clip axle....I run c-clips, but at least I have 31 spline axles, abd rear disc's to keep that axle from falling all the way out.....if I break one, I will invest in the super 88 kit...but either way i got rid of that stupid D35.

what ever works man!

the 8.8 is a great axle just alot of work for the average lazy 4x4 dude..

they want everything cheap and bolt in....

xjjeeper19 said:
I not saying c-clips are bad...I was just saying that they don't make spools for a c clip axle....I run c-clips, but at least I have 31 spline axles, abd rear disc's to keep that axle from falling all the way out.....if I break one, I will invest in the super 88 kit...but either way i got rid of that stupid D35.

Back