• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

!!HELP HELP!! PLEASE MOTOR REMOVAL

97babyXJ

NAXJA Forum User
im mid engine removal and am having issues getting the trans unbolted 97 cherokee with aw4 4.0L. i got the two 5/8 bolts out from either side, does the little 3/8 inch bolt need to come out just behind the top of the block??

There are a bunch of bolts that connect to the engine thru the bellhousing flange....they all need to come out. Including those little reverse torx SOBs near the top.

Rev

I lowered the tranny and got the reverse torx bolts from the top with a flex ratchet. pain in the butt,but was easier then getting them from the bottom,which i couldn't even reach them from the bottom,no matter how many extensions i had.

muddygp said:
yeah, you need a reverse torx socket. lots of extentions. sucks!
Ive done a few now and what I do is remove the front motor mounts and the brackets from the engine and drop the whole thing down to the front axle. The reverse torx are easy to get to from the top and are much less likely to slip and round off. I then jack the motor back up, brace the tranny with a strap or a stand and remove the bottom bolts with the engine hoist hooked up. It sounds like a lot but realy only takes a few minuets. I always use some new grade 8 hex heads and I put it all back together the same way.

What is a reverse torx? Is it just a tork bolt that has left hand threads?

Back