• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need to add a suckdown winch

You could stand another pound or two in that left rear tire:wave1:

Or you make your rear suspension work right... cuz dude, that just dont seem like its working half right at ALL. Why put a band-aid on a foot you just cut off?

Edit: what you have up front exactly? Do you have center limit strap?

No limit straps at all on it, the air shocks just like to unload when there is no weight on them, I don't think the rear links are the problem, they are not gonna push the front down when it is standing up like that, it is more that there is no weight on the front shocks so it just pushes the front away from the obsticle

Yup atv winch is what I am thinking also, plenty of room behind the grill and I can run a switch for it inside to control it. unloading is caused by weight transfer so a winch or limiting strap is not always a bandaid, if it was then there are some really messed up comp rigs out there

uncc civilengineer said:
Air Shocks all around = ft/rr suck down winches....
Fullsizexj said:
exactly the conclusion I came to after the first trail run

Honestly... I think you need to reasses your front and rear suspension. As you know, MANY of the guys over here run air shocks all around and what you have as a "problem" is not solveable by a winch. You need to address your suspension design, put proper lenght limit straps in, adjust your air shocks to work better for your rig... THEN use a winch as a suck down for super knarly stuff. Not as a band aid.

EvanH said:
---> noob <---

What is a suckdown winch?

Just what it sounds like. A winch that is attached on one end to either the body or the axle (can be mounted either way) and it used to "suck down" the suspension. This prevents the unloading issues as in the video.

Fullsizexj said:
so post up your personal experience with this, what brings you to this conclusion

Why don't you do this... put a center limit strap in and corner limit straps in. Set your front center limit so that you have only a small percent of your total travel. If you run 14" shocks with 4" up, then let only 4" down at the middle. With airshocks and c/o's you REALLY need corner straps to keep from destroying your shocks. I am not sure how your front DS is not blowing up from binding up!

My personal experience? Way more than you thats for sure. But, what I am basis all of this information is simple suspension design.

Scrappy said:
Why don't you do this... put a center limit strap in and corner limit straps in. Set your front center limit so that you have only a small percent of your total travel. If you run 14" shocks with 4" up, then let only 4" down at the middle. With airshocks and c/o's you REALLY need corner straps to keep from destroying your shocks. I am not sure how your front DS is not blowing up from binding up!

My personal experience? Way more than you thats for sure. But, what I am basis all of this information is simple suspension design.
and you bas e this on ???
you post up an opinion but absolutely nothing to show what you base it on, I just want to know that if I am gonna take advise from someone on the internet, he actually knows what he is talking about, does that bother you or something, I am sure you would want to know what I was talking about if I was telling you something

Fullsizexj said:
and you bas e this on ???
you post up an opinion but absolutely nothing to show what you base it on, I just want to know that if I am gonna take advise from someone on the internet, he actually knows what he is talking about, does that bother you or something, I am sure you would want to know what I was talking about if I was telling you something

A. Research through books and experienced people.
B. Being on the trail alot and with people who are on the trail... alot.
c. Being invovled with many different types of builds that utiliezed much of what you're trying to accomplish.
D. Building custom 3-links and 4-links for a living :eyes:

It does not bother me the slightest amount. In fact, I comend you for not taking the simplest advice and not questioning it. I still think that if you did try limit straps make your center one a little long then twist it up until your happy, then buy the length you need), your rig would change tremendously.

You never did say what type of suspensions your running... that could help alot.

triangulated 4 link rear and a midarm 4 link front, A suckdown winch will accomplish the same thing as a limit strap but will allow some adjustability for different situations. I am attacking this one step at a time. I plan to change the upper shock mounts to get it a little lower first. Once I have the ride height I want then I will do the suck down winches. Once I have that working the way I want then I will look into the side limits. It just makes more sense to me to tackle 1 at a time instead of all at once and then if something still ain't right, I would have to figure out which one it was, this way I get each one worked out and then the next to work proper with it

Back