• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Various lift Questions

Nova Wake

NAXJA Forum User
Ok i want to take my xj from mild to wild and i have a few questions, after lots and lots of reading i ditched my idea of getting a small lift and 31s and figured, hell why not just go all the way. Anyways i have come to the desition of getting a clayton's lift, JB sye kit and TW driveshaft, and 4.56 gears, and 33's.
Ok now, with some mods i'm told i can keep my MPG's in the high teens(17-19) with that set up. What else do i need for a COMPLETE set up beyond what i mentioned? Also i wanted to get the 4inch clayton lift, will that clear 33s? or do i just go with the 6.5inch lift?

Which set ups best for me? both would be close in cost i just need to decide on whats best. It's gonna be on road most of the time, whitch is why i'm leaning towards a 4in lift and 33s(if feasable), but it will see its deal of off-road also, along with winters and mud season.

Please school me i'm new.

Last edited:
At 4" you probably won't clear 33s without major trimming. You'll also chunk your tires on the lower control arms. WJ LCAs, spacers on your steering stops, offset wheels and wheel spacers are all possible solutions.
An adjustable track bar will be helpful, and if you want to keep your front axle lined up center (left to right) then you'll need it.
Which axle do you have? The D35 will probably crap out with 33s unless you are careful with the gas or avoid rocks. If you have ABS, you have a D35 axle which should be fine in mud and snow but won't stand up to 33s in rock country.
With gas mileage - I don't know how much you can do except regear the axles. Better ignition system, intake, exhaust etc will all help but you are adding rotating mass, which hurts mpg.

Going with the 4" lift is fine but you might want to bump it up 0.5" just so that the rear clears the tires a little better. You are going to need to trim no matter what with 33's so why not go all the way when trimming the front, the back on the other hand is going to be trickier, thats why i suggested a little more lift especially for the rear. On my jeep im running around 4" of lift in the front and 4.5" in the rear and it clears my 33's fine unless im fully flexed, the rear rubs slightly, but any rubbing can be fixed with a combination of bump stops and trimming.

im not sure what axle i have, its a 95 if that helps, how do i tell what kinda axle it is? Thanks for answering other questions. If i have to get an axle to i think i'm just gonna save up for a j-10 project instead.

I am running a similar setup to what you described. I am at 3.5" of lift and runnung 33's with the JB SYE and TW D/S. I would recommend, since you want to go all out, getting a 5.5" long arm setup with full leafpack. This will give you the best ride and capability. You will need to both trim your fenders and get longer bumpstops. This will give you a tremendously capable rig. If you have a D35 axle you will want to chunk it in favor of an 8.25 or a cherokee D44. This will be the most cost effective route. I am running an Aussie locker in front and a Lockright out back. Put alloy axles in the D30 and you should not have any problems with it.

good, that means i don't have that week link. Wonder if its the 27 or 29 spline? i hope its the tougher one that came out in 95. So looks like im back in line for lifting it if my axle isnt a problem.

Nova Wake said:
good, that means i don't have that week link. Wonder if its the 27 or 29 spline? i hope its the tougher one that came out in 95. So looks like im back in line for lifting it if my axle isnt a problem.
it would be 27 spline, the 29 spline didnt come out till late 96

Nova Wake said:
Yeah, that axle will serve you well. It should hold up plenty well if it's a 27 spline but if you have doubts get some chromoly shafts and it will be nearly bulletproof.

Back