• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Question: front lower control arm prob.

ntrsvic

NAXJA Forum User
I am in the process of putting a RE6030 on my XJ. After much to do, I have managed to get the lower control arms out. (How something can be frozen in there and Springy at the same time..I dont know) Anyways, the new supplied lower control arms have a metal bushing/rubber bushing that is wider then the mount on the frame.

We can fix this by removing the internal bracket that provides a hole for the bolt.

or

We can try a pry open the bracket a little and get that end of the control arm in.

Anyone else run into this problem?...and how did you solve it?

Thanks.

Jake

Last edited:
Rubber bushing end at the frame...the axle end seems fine.

Let me clarify, the bracket on the frame end is actually two brackets. An outer bracket is welded to the frame and has an oval shaped hole that allows the bolt to be in about a 1 inch range from front to back. The inner bracket is bolted in and proveds a fixed position for the bolt.

I could remove that inner bracket, but this seems like a bad idea. i also could pry open the set of brackets and get the new control arms in there (they are slightly wider then the stock control arms).

I was just trying to find out what route people took, because I think both are not optimal.

Last edited:
You're better off opening up the frame bracket enough for the control arm to go in. I have pro comp control arms and the inner steel sleeves have crushed and the bolts keep coming loose. You need those sleeves to allow proper torque of the bolts.

I just finished a set of these with the 6130 kit last weekend The lower bushings were a real pain until I figured this out.

Push the inner bracket forward until the front is hanging out past the edge of the frame bracket. Then slide the bushing inside the inner bracket. Then use a deadblow hammer to push the inner bracket and lca back into the pocket. You need to move slowly, so you can make sure the studs go through the holes in the back of the pocket. You may need to pry the inner bracket down or tap it up, so the studs will clear the holes. Don't worry about the angle. Once the studs are through the holes, the nuts will pull the inners back into alignment.

Back