• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SCARY SCARY SCARY!!!!

sjbwell

NAXJA Forum User
I was driving my jeep yesterday doing about 35 mph when all of a sudden the gas pedal goes straight to the floor. I hit the brake and it returns back to normal. For the next 2 miles it does this constantly untill I get home and park it.

I have no clue what it could be , except something related to the cruise control. It is a 90 xj with 4.0 and aw4. I have owned this jeep for 4 yrs now and have never experienced this before. the cruise control never worked before and I never really cared.

What should I look for to take care of this problem. This is my daily driver, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Shawn.

If you want to eliminate the cruise switches on the column, there is a small wire (looks sorta like a phone wire) coming down the column to a plug for the cruise computer. Just unplug that. 4 wires as i recall...It's a flat plug with two connections on each side.

That sounds VERY odd, nothing I've ever seen.

Personally though I wouldn't put the blame on the switchs on the column, I think the cruise control module (yellow box under the dash) or the server would be more likely. If I were you I would disconnect the vacuum lines (plug them afterwards, of course) and power lines to the Crusie server on the firewall. For extra efford you could also remove the cable from the throttle body.

believe it or not, a possible culprit is the floor mat. check to make sure that the floor mat has not slid into a position such that the gas pedal gets caught on it.

this may sound silly, but it has been known to happen (and cause MVAs).

most likely, however, is that the problem is in the aforementioned cc. if you don't use it anyway, disconnect it.

Last edited:
I had that happen to me once on an old Pontiac car. I would disconnect the vacuum servo from the throttle body, and call it good.

yes the pedal left my foot, and the engine reved up. I went ahead and disconnected all the cruise control and it hasn't done it since. Very scary to say the least not to mention I had my 2 little girls with me as well. oh well hopefully it won't come back.Thanks anyway Shawn.

Ya everytime I stepped on the brake it would reset the cruise, but as soon as I let off the brake it would start again. Did this continually for about 2 miles. Drove it for about 80 miles today and did not do it once. Must of been the cruise control, I hope.

Back