• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

pinion nut

2000bluexj

NAXJA Forum User
ok. i need to replace my pinion seal. i know i need to keep the preload the same and all of that as it is a cruch sleeve and i know how to do all that. what can i use to hold the yoke? 24" pipe wrench work? and can i just tap it off with a hammer or should i rent a puller?

A large pipe wrench is a good choice. I've only needed a puller once. That yoke was stuck so hard we ended up using a torch and cutting the pinion in order to change the gears. Most times a couple of love taps with a BFH will loosen it right up, but I would have a puller handy if you have to be to work early the next day.:lecture:

shouldn't need a puller. To get it off, throw the socket on there, put a breaker bar on the socket, rest the socket on the frame rail, throw it in 4lo and put it in gear. You'll hear a pop, and it will be off.

Then to tighten, use a torque wrench. Have someone get on the brakes so that the pinion won't move.

Back