• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Three hour tire rotation.

Ray H

NAXJA Forum User
Decided I would change my oil, tranny fluid and rotate my tires today. I figured about 30 minutes start to finish.
The oil change went well, the tranny fluid went well, then when I pulled the rear tire off, there it was, a broken leaf spring shim. Stinkin aluminum shims. My ProComp springs came with the shims already bolted on. I knew they were aluminum when I got the springs so I was tempted to take them off and replace them with a pair of steel ones I had. I decided to leave them, they seemed thick enough and they werent brittle, and I didnt feel like taking the time to replace them with the steel ones. Bad decision. Now four months later I spend a couple hours dropping the axle and putting my steel shims in.
I dont regret getting the ProComps, theyve actually turned out to be decent springs, I do regret my poor decision to not take the time to replace the shims before installing the springs.
This is just a reminder for everyone to take a good look around your vehicles when you do your routine maintenance. I couldve easily missed the busted shim and I dont know why I noticed it but Im glad I did.

Ray H said:
Stinkin aluminum shims...

Things should be illegal. I thought it was my tailpipe rattling around, until I got under it and saw the shim had disintigrated, the ubolts were slack, and the spring plate was bouncing around whenever I hit a bump.

Welded up some stacks of 1/8" plate, crap I picked out of the garbage, and they've held up fine.

Why do they sell crap that just doesn't work, when something so simple would?

Robert

Robert 771 said:
Things should be illegal. I thought it was my tailpipe rattling around, until I got under it and saw the shim had disintigrated, the ubolts were slack, and the spring plate was bouncing around whenever I hit a bump.

Welded up some stacks of 1/8" plate, crap I picked out of the garbage, and they've held up fine.

Why do they sell crap that just doesn't work, when something so simple would?

Robert

My broken shim didnt progress as far as falling out. It had busted in half and was seperated slightly.
I guess the aluminum works for some. The shim on the other side (which I also replaced) was in good shape.

Did you contact Procomp to tell them the aluminum was a bad idea for the shim? They might like to know what is happening after people buy their stuff, and keep it from happening to others...

Back