• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need some U-joint help!

Georgia Mike

NAXJA Forum User
Okay, I've got a Dana 35 driveshaft, and I need to mate it to an Explorer 8.8 pinion/companion flange. I am going to stick with the factory pinion/companion flange for reliability, and for the moment I'll use the driveshaft I've got. Does anyone know off of the top of their head what the part number is for a Dana/Spicer combo joint to mate the two together? I'm gonna buy one to use, and another for a backup in case something should happen. I just don't want to get down to the parts store and have to deal with the dumb looks I usually get when I want something out of the ordinary.... :laugh3:

This comes up ever week. last time I googled combi joint and found it but the best thing to do is buy the correct flang addapter for your u-joint. Second a combi joint is not as strong as a regular square joint. So I was told from a drive shaft builder. Third if you buy the flang adapter yoke for like $25 bucks you will get a yoke that uses the u-bolts instead of the straps and you will be able to find a replacement ujoint at auto zone. Your local drive shaft shop stocks the flange yoke and you can pick up real Spicer u-joints if you call around at the same shop. In case you don't know spicer u-joints are like twice as strong as rest except the real high end specialty joints. Great upgrad with the 8.8 so you might as well do it right with the good flange and joint. One more thing is to never reuse a u-joint and if you change drive angles much you will waste a u-joint that has been running at a different angle fast.

Georgia Mike said:
Yeah, what's the 1310/1330 combination joint part #?

Spicer 1310 to 1330 conversion u-joint is part number 5-134 x.

Unless you have the Ford 1330 with the 1 1/8 diameter caps, instead of the 1 1/16 normal caps. This non-standard yoke/u-joint was used on some Ford 9" and Ford D60. In that case... I used parts from 2 spicer u-joints. A 5-134x and two of the 1 1/8 caps from a 5-1201x.

Cool! I went to the junkyard today and scored an 8.8 1310 companion flange from a Ranger, so now I won't need to use a combo joint. Thanks for the information, though! :D

Back