• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeeps apart and needs to get back together

themangeraaad

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, so the XJs drivers side front end is torn apart in the driveway right now to do a wheel bearing, so forgive if this is a duplicate post somewhere... but how does the unit reassemble... aka, where does the thrust washer go (looks like a bent washer) I checked the haynes and I didnt get anything out of it. I have the wheel bearing on there, then I have the washer, thrust washer, and hub nut. So does it reassemble wheel bearing / hub assembly then thrust washer then washer then nut or assembly then washer then thrust washer then nut?

Thick washer, hub nut, bent washer, then the "locking cap", and cotter pin is the correct order. The bent washer (acts like a spring, really) keeps tension on the "locking cap" to either keep pressure on the cotter pin, or keep it from rattling.

This is what the order was on both sides of my XJ when I pulled them both apart awhile back.

Thanks, thats what I thought initially, but then I got thinking, and overthought everything and put it in wrong. So, long story short, ill tear it apart eventually maybe, most likely not though, since i kinda wrapped the cotter pin around to hold it properly

Well i have a cotter pin in there, I just forgot to put the thrust washer in ot keep the tension. The tension provided by the thrust washer is to help hold the cotter pin in properly. The way I installed the cotter pin, though, there is no way for it to hold off as I turned both ends up so it cant move. I made sure safety is priority.. I drive 60 miles a day, mostly highway, and cruising on 33s I dont want anythign to go wrong. Blowing one of them at 75+ on the highway is enough for me, thank you. Haha, hey, the Jeep is still ok, and I am still ok, so I cant complain too much about that experience. Just pissed at the damn tow guy who damaged my classic IIs... ::sigh::

Oh yeah, thick washer behind hub nut, the only thing I wasnt sure about was the thrust washer cause that slid under my toolbox and I missed it at reassembly. Figured I was getting picky about it since if you take other preventative measures it should be fine w/o it, but just wanted to make sure I wasnt missing something more important with it

Back