• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lug Nut Stud

TERRYSXJCO

NAXJA Forum User
Hey i have a 94 cherokee and one of the studs broke off the front driverside wheel is this hard to replace and how do you do it.

Last edited:
I believe you have to remove big nut in the middle of the hub, then the 3 bolts on the back and then get the hub off......then slide the axleshaft off of the hub and you can tap out the broken stud and tap in a new one.

Unless they changed the design, you should just be able to remove the 3 bolts on the back of the hub/knuckle/WTF ever its called and pull the shaft out slightly, remove old, and tap in a new one....just did it on my 00 XJ last weekend...

Depends if you want to run with one stud missing. Either you have to remove the entire wheel bearing / hub assembly (actually got mine sitting on my driveway right now and waiting on a reply to a post about re-assembly) If you dont mind going w/ one missing, you should be able to take the tire off, take the brakes off, and just hit the stud with a hammer, it will pop through, if its flush with the hub, just use a punch to get at it. Then you can get another stud and replace it. If replacing it you may need to take the hub off, not sure what clearance there is.

Or you could always just replace the whole wheel bearing while your at it for $150ish like I gotta do. Lol, mine came with new studs :D

Yeah, like Nickel said, its not bad, but make sure to hit the 3 bolts with PB before trying though, they are 12 pt half inch bolts, so you know. what else.... its called the Wheelbearing / hub assembly... and far to expensive to replace... and if you do take it off, i recoment making sure your entire axleshaft doesnt puill out w/ it, just pull the hub assembly while pushing on the center of hte shaft, it will slide right off, this will save you the trouble of gettnig the shaft back into the differentail w/o getting it dirty. Not a big deal, but just saves a min or 2, and maybe some anger depending how well you deal with stuff.

Last month I replaced both of my front ujoints. I never looked at the wheel studs, LOL. But VERY SOON I'll be replacing the passenger side hub (bearings are shot). So perhaps I'll take a look at the wheel studs then :)

Blaine. I woudlnt worry about the studs unless you have stripped one or 2 of them out and want to replace them. Wheel bearing is probably one of the easier things I have had to do recently and took literally no thought at all and prolly not more than 20 min of real work. maybe 30. The bearing should come with new studs. I got a timkin bearing from autozone for about 150$. Pretty soong I may be doing passenger side, but it still sounds fine. Bearings make a wonderful grinding noise when they are dead.. Heh.. maybe driving 500 miles the wk after it became somewaht bad wasnt the greatest idea.. but I gotta get to work somehow. And while you are going after the bearing, check your ball joints, I have a feeling my shot balljoints caused my bearing to go or my shot bearing caused ball joints to go. Either way, the side that needed them needed both.. Just an idea

I dunno, my mechanic friend checked the balljoints, I believe they were fine. We'll check again though. My passenger side bearing makes a "noise" when I'm on a road that curves left, etc.

Holy crap. The previous comments are the worst advice EVER. Running with 4 studs is RETARDED.

Anywho. Take your wheel and brake caliper/rotor off. Then use a hammer and hammer out the bad stud.

Go to an autoparts store and get a new stud. (napa, autozone, checkers, bla bla bla) just make sure it matches the old one.

Use some washers usually 4 or 5 that fit around the threads of the stud, and some lube (wd-40 works). Put the stud in, put the washers on, and use a wheel lug nut to pull the new wheel stud in.

Done.

Im not saying its a good idea. What Im saying is it can be done for a while if there is work to be done in that area. I ran 4 studs for a couple wks while I waited for the parts to come in (wheel bearing) that would require that portion to be removed and replaced anyway. I dont RECOMMEND it, im sorry if there was a misunderstanding, but Its not the end of the world if you do it for a couple weeks. I am currently running 4 lugs on one of my tires cause of the damn POS lugs that I got, one got damaged and I have to get out to get another, but I am not making it my priorty over work and family, when i have to get something from the parts store in a wk or 2 I will get the lug then, and life goes on

Yeah, not the best....but it can work.

I've seen some people run with 4 studs on each wheel for awhile without a problem. They probably didn't drive stupid either....which can for sure speed up your chances of loosing a wheel on quick turns, etc.

KarlVP said:
Holy crap. The previous comments are the worst advice EVER. Running with 4 studs is RETARDED.

Anywho. Take your wheel and brake caliper/rotor off. Then use a hammer and hammer out the bad stud.

Go to an autoparts store and get a new stud. (napa, autozone, checkers, bla bla bla) just make sure it matches the old one.

Use some washers usually 4 or 5 that fit around the threads of the stud, and some lube (wd-40 works). Put the stud in, put the washers on, and use a wheel lug nut to pull the new wheel stud in.

Done.

That is how I did mine a few months ago. All you need to know is how to use a wrench and a hammer. The new stud will only cost you a few bucks. There is a reason all those high paid Jeep engineers put 5 lugs on the thing.

Back