• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 WON't LINE UP

johnjeep

NAXJA Forum User
I am replacing my tranny and i cant get the trans into the engine. i can get the top bolts to line up but not the bottom, or the bottom but not the top. Ive tried jacking up and lowering the tranny, the jeep and the engine and it just wont work. its a 1990 xj w/ a np231, 21 spline. Does anybody have an idea?

I would make sure that the torque converter is fully installed into the tranny. I just replaced the engine in my xj a few weeks ago and it mated with the tranny without any issues. Just don't try to force it together!

Ditto on installing the t/c fully onto the tranny. Give it a turn or two to make sure it's seated. If you don't and try to pull everything together with the bell housing bolts, you'll destroy the t/c and/or the front pump in the tranny.

If you have some long bolts of the same size as the side bolts, cut the heads off and slot the ends. Screw them in place of the side bolts and use them as guides to line things up. Then get the top and bottom bolts in and snugged. If at all possible, use a tranny jack - it makes life much easier.

lawsoncl said:
Ditto on installing the t/c fully onto the tranny. Give it a turn or two to make sure it's seated. If you don't and try to pull everything together with the bell housing bolts, you'll destroy the t/c and/or the front pump in the tranny.

If you have some long bolts of the same size as the side bolts, cut the heads off and slot the ends. Screw them in place of the side bolts and use them as guides to line things up. Then get the top and bottom bolts in and snugged. If at all possible, use a tranny jack - it makes life much easier.

X2! the t/c will make a very distinctive "thunk" when it seats correctly

Last edited:
I remember reading 1/4" as well, buit I couldn't find it in the FSM again. Lay a straightedge across the face of the bellhousing and I think it was the weld nuts that should be recessed 1/4".

Last edited:
johnjeep said:
all the torque converter does is slide in the front right....

No several things must engage also so it push turn, push turn push turn until every things lined up and engaged.

Converter.jpg

Last edited:
I've done a couple. The T/C on one when on easy...just a little turning to the left and right and it went on after about 3 solid thuds while it was seating. The last one took a good 5 or 10 minutes of fighting with it to get it to seat fully.

Back