• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2001 XJ A/C Pulley Seized

4x400m

NAXJA Forum User
I was driving along the freeway in my 01 XJ a couple days ago when the A/C compressor pulley bearings apparently seized. The inner portion of the A/C clutch will still turn by hand, but the pulley does not turn. Even with the engine running, the pulley stays stationary while the belt slowly turns (and makes terrible noises).

I am pretty mechanically inclined, so I plan to tackle this myself. However, I'm not familiar with the compressor clutch / pulley. What are my chances of fixing this without replacing the compressor?

-Greg

Do a search, I think you will even get some part numbers to pop up. Remember it as a posting within about 2 or 3 months

[FONT=&quot]I had the same problem on my 2001. The clutch assembly is not available separately so you will need to buy an entire rebuilt compressor.
I just changed the clutch and left the old compressor in place, eliminating the need to vacuum and replace the coolant. Make sure to set the clearance on the clutch according to the FSM.
[/FONT]

my 01 is starting to whine from the compressor clutch. Its pretty loud, people think I have a supercharger... I was hoping to get just the clutch. dangit.

Well, I got the pulley off last night, and it does appear the bearing seized. It actually got hot enough that the wire in the electromagnet behind the pulley was stuck in the backside of the pulley.

I think I am going to go the junk yard route for finding a replacement clutch assembly. From the number of people that have reported problems here, I may go ahead and put a bearing in the pulley before installing it.

Thanks for the help.

-Greg

Not trying to highjack...
I have an 01 and I have a squeek when I turn the AC on when not moving. If I turn it on when I am moving, there is no squeal. Does this have anything to do with the bearing, or is it just that the belt needs to be tightened/loosened?

dynorockcg said:
I have an 01 and I have a squeek when I turn the AC on when not moving. If I turn it on when I am moving, there is no squeal. Does this have anything to do with the bearing, or is it just that the belt needs to be tightened/loosened?

I'd start by checking the belt as it's simplest and cheapest.

The clutch IS AVAILABLE separatly. I bought one for my 2000 XJ from jeepsareus.com last August. I paid about $200 for the clutch.

I replaced it because I had a squeal and a melted clutch magnet as was reported here. I put the new clutch on and the belt slid on the pulley when I turned the AC on for the first time. The damn compressor was locked up. Back to jeepsareus.com and ordered the whole compressor, including another new clutch. I paid about $275.

I have the new clutch on the old compressor, if anybody wants it. I could ship you the whole thing, if you pay the shipping. I won't disassemble it.

I never replaced the dryer or vacuumed the system. The trick is to bolt the new compressor in place before you disconnect the lines. Then you can move the lines over to the new compressor immediatly and not have the system open long enough to let moisture into it. The new compressor comes with a new set of O-rings for the block where the hoses are attached.

dynorockcg said:
I have the same thing on mine but it's because I overserviced it with refrigerant.

When the A/C is on I get a bit of a howling. Actually sounds pretty cool. Is the A/C compressor supposed to make a howling noise at all or not? It's not loud but it is louder. Like I said it sounds pretty cool :) Oh, it changes with RPM's as well (I know it's something A/C clutch/pully related.)

Back