• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Idea For Hoodvents!.........

Cherokeekid88

NAXJA Forum User
I was browsing around...and i found these.
vENT.jpg

they are 8"x4" 2-way. And i thought since they have the switch on there to open and close them. When it starts to rain just close em up and also during the winter and them open them up when its hot out??? but im also worried about the way they would look and the practicality of them. let me know.

Scrappy ran a hot water vent on his old blue jeep and it looke ok, in fact it was the best looking vent I have ever, ever, ever seen.

wont they rust quickly. Just go to the pick n pull there is a 1990s pontiac grand prix vents, z34 lumina, most turbo dodges (lebaron, new yorker, glh omni, daytona/laser) have vents, also tons of jap cars.

Or try westmarine for some marine vents that will hold up to the elements.

Home ac/air return vents seem like a patch not a long term solution.

wont they rust quickly. Just go to the pick n pull there is a 1990s pontiac grand prix vents, z34 lumina, most turbo dodges (lebaron, new yorker, glh omni, daytona/laser) have vents, also tons of jap cars.

You can get these household floor diffuser vents in stainless, but I'd rather go the pick-and-pull route. GoJeep's site has some interesting ideas.

i'd go with something automotive over a household item...

Last edited:
MELKORsXJ said:
i'd go with something automotive over a household item...

I doubt the household vents would hold up very well in the elements. I bet they'd start to rust in no time at all.

I could be wrong though.:dunno:

Hale

Rain isnt an issue. I've had zero problems with my lebaron vents and we have been getting a ton of rain lately.

Ramsey said:
Rain isnt an issue. I've had zero problems with my lebaron vents and we have been getting a ton of rain lately.

Hey Ramsey - send it out way. Not a drop in three months! Then cotton be dying. BTW, are you using the drip pans w. the LeBaron vents?

After putting in the vents, whatever style/model, has anyone actually noticed a significant different in running temperature?
I know increasing air flow is a great theory, but out on the trail i'm usually not going too quickly, so the air isn't getting sucked or blown into the engine bay...

The Adam Blaster said:
After putting in the vents, whatever style/model, has anyone actually noticed a significant different in running temperature?
I know increasing air flow is a great theory, but out on the trail i'm usually not going too quickly, so the air isn't getting sucked or blown into the engine bay...

Not much difference in coolant temps but a big difference in underhood temps.

Cherokeekid88 said:

they are 8"x4" 2-way. And i thought since they have the switch on there to open and close them. When it starts to rain just close em up and also during the winter and them open them up when its hot out??? but im also worried about the way they would look and the practicality of them. let me know.

when you go to use then you will notice that the opening & closing vent mechanism hangs really low when the vent is open. I used a 12" long x 4" wide floor vent & they look alot better than the one in your pic, but arent as big, and I just took the mechanism out & made covers out of a cookie sheet.

That, and that mechanism hurts your airflow! The air must first hit the angled diffusers on the outside, only to be REDIRECTED by the internal diffusers. (I work A/C heating and Repair) So, while they may be beneficial in some ways, they kinda block a heavy airflow on the engine compartment.

I got shanghied on saturday and ended up in massive outlet mall called franklin mills near philly. Wife and daughter suckerd me in telling me there was a whole bunch of good outlet stores like sears tools and such, NOPE.
Across the street was a boaters supply store and they had a pretty good selection of marine vents, unfortunately they only had one of each when I wanted a pair. I'm ordering them online and will be installing them in my fenders, not the hood.

Cherokeekid88 said:
vENT.jpg

Dude, I admire your ingenuity but that is kinda trailer park.

jeeperjohn said:
Dude, I admire your ingenuity but that is kinda trailer park.

Yea, x2, get them in brass then it will be 'upscale' trailer park LOL..

Back