• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Isuzu D44/Ford8.8+MJ leafs= XJ Leaf Under?

selarep

NAXJA Forum User
I have been toying with the idea of having an XJ that's Leaf under with a leaf under axel... would it work?
I just ordered my Isuzu D44 last night and I came this morning but in the wrong form (they sent me a drum 4.10 geared axel that was coil sprung) so I ordered the right one and now I'm curious if I can keep the axel stock and just throw some MJ leafs under it and call it a day...
yay? nay?
pic of an isuzu D44
P1010012.jpg
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f144/thetvaman/P1010012.jpg

I run an Isuzu D44, SOA - the stock purches on a I44 are 40" on center (same as a YJ) (at least on 94-95 Rodeo D44s...) - I think this is too narrow to run with stock XJ mounts (@43"??). I think you'll be binding up your springs pretty good, and eating some serious bushings.

RyanM said:
MJ and XJ leaf springs also have different eye to eye measueres

and that's why they run leaf under. they are LONGER to fit under the axel and run stock height.

Hmm.... so no can do if they are not as wide (the mounts) as the XJ...

selarep said:
and that's why they run leaf under. they are LONGER to fit under the axel and run stock height.

Hmm.... so no can do if they are not as wide (the mounts) as the XJ...

He means that when at static height, the straight-line eye to eye measurements of MJ springs are longer than XJ springs (i.e. you can't use an MJ main spring in an XJ applicaiton without relocateing either the rear shackle mount or the front spring mount - looks like this is a no-go on several levels, but creative thinking!

ohhh i get it...
damn.
looks likes its to grinding wheel i go!

comanche91 said:
HMMMMMMMMMM. That might work just fine on my MJ, using the MJ leaf springs............

Now you're talking -- IIRC, MJ's use the same rear axle as a YJ? If so (40" spring spacing), it is damn near a bolt in deal, just have to deal with the pinion yoke and shock mounts...

xj-grin said:
Now you're talking -- IIRC, MJ's use the same rear axle as a YJ? If so (40" spring spacing), it is damn near a bolt in deal, just have to deal with the pinion yoke and shock mounts...

Yep, 40" spring spacing. The shock mounts look like they will work just fine too according to Selarep's pic above. Pinion yoke should be no problem too. Got a D35 now (yes, I know) w. Ford Exploder disk brakes; hate to give that up. Can an Isuzu D44 be had with disk brakes? This is good stuff - I didn't even know the Isuzu had the D44 rear. Standard for all?

comanche91 said:
Yep, 40" spring spacing. The shock mounts look like they will work just fine too according to Selarep's pic above. Pinion yoke should be no problem too. Got a D35 now (yes, I know) w. Ford Exploder disk brakes; hate to give that up. Can an Isuzu D44 be had with disk brakes? This is good stuff - I didn't even know the Isuzu had the D44 rear. Standard for all?

Do a search for "Isuzu" in the modtech forum here, as someone has done an extensive inventory as to which years are leaf, which are coil, width of each...etc. But, IIRC, you want a 94-96ish Rodeo D44. It will be @ 58" wide, but you can get a couple of inches of width back (stock XJ is 60") and convert to 5 on 4.5 (Rodeos are 6 lug) with spacers. All will have disc brakes. Any of these you get will be geared 4.10, 4.30, or in rare instances 4.56. I actually have most of a 4.10 version sitting in my garage (missing some e-brake hardware) that I will be trying to sell soon, but it would be $$ to get it to Alabama...

xj-grin said:
Do a search for "Isuzu" in the modtech forum here, as someone has done an extensive inventory as to which years are leaf, which are coil, width of each...etc. But, IIRC, you want a 94-96ish Rodeo D44. It will be @ 58" wide, but you can get a couple of inches of width back (stock XJ is 60") and convert to 5 on 4.5 (Rodeos are 6 lug) with spacers. All will have disc brakes. Any of these you get will be geared 4.10, 4.30, or in rare instances 4.56. I actually have most of a 4.10 version sitting in my garage (missing some e-brake hardware) that I will be trying to sell soon, but it would be $$ to get it to Alabama...

Thanks, will do the search. Ideally an MJ D44 (or even an AMC-20) is the way to go, but hard to find in decent shape. Then would still have to convert that to disk brakes. 4.10 is what I have now, and will retain. Not a big fan of spacers, but the Isuzu 44 might be the best way out cost-wise. With the TJ
8" wheels I'm using, the narrower width of the Isuzu D44 would actually help the minor clearance problems I have w. the original wheel flares by using the proper spacers. Thanks very much for the info.

xj-grin said:

Not true...
Here's the option the 1994 came in:
drum brakes (4 cyl), 4.56 ratio (41/9 teeth, HC6)
drum brakes (4 cyl), 4.10 ratio (41/10 teeth, GT5)
drum brakes (4 cyl), 4.30 ratio (43/10 teeth, S7C)
disc brakes (6 cyl), 4.10 ratio (41/10 teeth, GT5)
disc brakes (6 cyl), 4.30 ratio (43/10 teeth, S7C)
I got the drum today and man that thing is massive. it had a slotted diff cover, coil spring mounts, track bar arms, shock mounts, some other mount studs.... I didn't even want to think about cutting all that crap off.
Tomorrow I get my nice Disk brake with leaf under.
Anyone know if someone makes a nice swap kit like this one to fit under an XJ?:
http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/88-rear-axle-simple-swap-p-186.html?osCsid=464de757258ff98f2344bab87d9eaa2a

selarep said:
Not true...
Here's the option the 1994 came in:
drum brakes (4 cyl), 4.56 ratio (41/9 teeth, HC6)
drum brakes (4 cyl), 4.10 ratio (41/10 teeth, GT5)
drum brakes (4 cyl), 4.30 ratio (43/10 teeth, S7C)
disc brakes (6 cyl), 4.10 ratio (41/10 teeth, GT5)
disc brakes (6 cyl), 4.30 ratio (43/10 teeth, S7C)
I got the drum today and man that thing is massive. it had a slotted diff cover, coil spring mounts, track bar arms, shock mounts, some other mount studs.... I didn't even want to think about cutting all that crap off.
Tomorrow I get my nice Disk brake with leaf under.
Anyone know if someone makes a nice swap kit like this one to fit under an XJ?:
http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/88-rear-axle-simple-swap-p-186.html?osCsid=464de757258ff98f2344bab87d9eaa2a

Well there you go, IDNRC... 95+ will all be disc.

Umm, hope I don't burst too many bubbles.

MJ leaf spacing is 42" centre-centre. Likewise, I think an XJ is 43.5~".

And for any real off-roading, SUA is horrible. You hang the leaf plates up on everything. Besides, a guy wants flatter leaf springs if he can (within reason, really flat ones invert like mad).

Oh, and all you guys that are buying rodeo D44s and converting them to disks... Why? I can see buying the factory disk brake version... But there's an isuzu axle that is stronger than a D44 that comes factory with disks. It's their corporate 12 bolt. Crazy thing, but they'll take a beating. Not much aftermarket though.

DirtyMJ said:
Umm, hope I don't burst too many bubbles.

And for any real off-roading, SUA is horrible. You hang the leaf plates up on everything. Besides, a guy wants flatter leaf springs if he can (within reason, really flat ones invert like mad).

Oh, and all you guys that are buying rodeo D44s and converting them to disks... Why? I can see buying the factory disk brake version... But there's an isuzu axle that is stronger than a D44 that comes factory with disks. It's their corporate 12 bolt. Crazy thing, but they'll take a beating. Not much aftermarket though.

... we never spoke about converting the isuzu drom drum to disk, go back and re-read the posting.

I received a drum isuzu axel when I wanted a disk, so i'm getting the disk tomorrow instead for no additional cost.

I'm still looking into a conversion package for it, if any one knows any companys that offer the parts, please post up.

comanche91 said:
Well Dirty is right about the 42" c-to-c.; I measured about 40" between the spring packs, and the leafs are 2-1/2" wide.

bummer - I remeasured the Isuzu last night, and the stock pads are 40" on center...

Back