• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Underhood heater control valve

cardboard

NAXJA Forum User
Can anyone tell me if there is a way to bypass or do a way with the heater control valve under the hood. If so , could someone send me a pic as to how to route the 2 hoses without this valve? Thanx Digger

Yea I know about the fixing being easy. Im on number 3, plus this is pretty much a trail only rig so I dont need it at the moment.

The newer XJ's removed the heater valve anyway and plumbed directly to the heater core.

You can just use a piece of pipe and clamp the upper and lower hoses together as two seperate lines, or get new rubber heater hoses that aren't cut for the valve.

It will flow coolant through the heater core year round. This method is probably better as the coolant won't sit in the heater core and have time to sludge up and such. That's probably why they did away with it in the later XJ's.

Make sure you plug the vacuum line as well.

Here ya go...this is on my bros '01 but I have done the same to my 90 with the open system...
Picture003.jpg

831358_25.jpg

Yer bro is missing his fan shroud.

I'd try to use a few zipties and make sure that coolant overflow bottle hose doesn't have a chance of bouncing in the way of the fan blades!

Blaine B. said:
Yer bro is missing his fan shroud.

I'd try to use a few zipties and make sure that coolant overflow bottle hose doesn't have a chance of bouncing in the way of the fan blades!
Meh, it's been replaced since then...good eye though.:guitar:

:huh: So doing away with the valve - does it effect the heat in winter? or too hot in summer? I'm just trying to get my head around with the point of making it redundant. Was the valve simply dropped from later models or was the system altered as well

-------------------------------------------------
1988 Cherokee Laredo 4WD, 4.0

Heat in the winter will remain the same. I don't think it makes a big difference with summertime since you have outside air circulating past the heater core anyway and such. It made less of enough difference for the Jeep engineers to delete it for later XJ's.

although I know some F350 guys who installed manual valves for the heater core and are now able to use normal A/C (not max) and get it even colder than before with max A/C due to coolant not circulating through the heater core.

So, you'd have to test it yourself really.

I didnt have the best heat in the winter because the valve was cloged. I took the valve out and put some pipe in place of it. Now it blows hot air all the time. I will get a pic of it tommarow.

Thanx guys, looks like im off to NAPA this weekend. Of the three I put on all of them leak in the same spot, right at the seam where they put the two pieces together. Stupid things!!:bawl:

Back