• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking for Transmission Oil Cooler suggestions.

bobinyelm

NAXJA Forum User
2001 XJ w/o Factory Tow Package

I will be towing a 3500 pound travel trailer.

I have two trans oil coolers (not yet installed)-
One a B&M "Super Cooler" rated to 16,000 pounds gross combined weight (size 5"X11"X1.5")
One a Derale rated to 20,500 pounds gross combined (size 11" X17")

The B&M is a stacked plate, twisted tube design, supposedly very efficient.
The Derale is a regular tube-and-fin type.

I can barely fit the 1.5" thick one between the grille and the AC condensor, but it will block fewer square inches of the radiator.

Question (especially to those who tow):
While both my coolers are bigger than the very small OEM towing oil cooler (as included w/ the tow package), which one (based on experience) would YOU use?

Have you had your XJ overheat, or the AC become inefficient in hot weather while towing and using a trans cooler that is mounted in front of the radiator?

As far as installation- I live in a warm climate, so I plan to hook the aux cooler in series AFTER the heat exchanger in the radiator tank.

Is the transmission return line from the radiator heat exchanger (that I want to cut into) the TOP one on the radiator that then routes to the REAR transmission fluid line?

Bob

Last edited:
Generally the finned coolers are better at cooling fluid then the tube coolers. I'd use the finnes cooler for just that reason. I can't input on the A/C because i cut mine up and now it's OBA! Oh and my A/C is a lack of doors in the hot weather...very refreshing.

Back