• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stiffners & Rust?

Ty2003K

NAXJA Forum User
Those of you who have put frame stiffeners on your rigs, home built (angle...) or store bought (TNT..), what have you guys done as far as paint and such. Looking at the TNT instuctions it says to weld them on then just paint or undercoat the outside. What about the bare inside metal and the dirt and water that can get inbetween them and the stiffners?

Wondering what people have done, sealant after welding? or just not worry about it? Also what people have used to paint them?

I only cleaned up the parts where the welds were going to go. I left the rest of it as is, which was covered with rubberized undercoating. I doubt it will be a problem but I live in New Mexico. Rust isn't a huge problem for me.

Same - southeren Colorado is pretty arid. I just shot them with rubberized undercoating and tried to put a little extra at any "gaps" from the stitch weld.

This is my concern also. It would be easy to seal the outside, but I see the rust starting on the inside of the frame. They used to spray the inside of car frames and rockers back in the '70s before galvanization. Anybody know how that was done?

I only plan to grind the parts of the original frame that I plan on welding also, but what about the entire inside portion of the stiffners that would be left untreated?

why not just paint them, and then grind off the areas you're going to weld?
then just touch up the paint once welded to the frame.

I primed and painted the Currie stiffeners that I have, and just ground down the areas to be welded, then sprayed back over after install.

I have the T&T ones and I just painted the inside of the siffeners with weld through primer. I also shot area where I ground the undercoating off with weld through primer before welding.

What did you all do about the inside of the frame rails? The stiffeners are 3/16 it would take forever to rust through, but the frame is thinner.

Back